HMS Frobisher

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by Com.Chris, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Com.Chris

Com.Chris New Member

I was wondering if anyone can help me design a Cavendish Heavy Cruiser?

2. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Chris
    I think that is the same as the Hawkins.
    I don't know that I have ever seen a set of plans for it myself.
    But it may be similar to another cruiser that plans are available for.
    George Goff the "plansmaster" might have them as well.
    I always liked those ships.
    Interesting choice.
    Mikey

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

I don't think I have seen plans for that class. Taubmans might have them, or maybe ANB in Italy. I would be surprised if the NMM didn't have them but they are very very pricey.

I agree that they are an interesting class. Built to counter HSF cruisers that were never constructed and served as the baseline for the Treaty Cruisers.

4. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

What is ANB? I haven't heard of that company.

5. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I checked out the plansmaster's list, and he does not have that class listed.
    So to be honest. I am not sure where you would find the plans for this class of ships.
    Mikey

6. Anachronus

It is the Association of Naval Modelers based in Bologna Italy. Taubman's carries some of their plans as the ANB series. I had their website some where but can not find it now.

7. Anachronus

www.anb-online.org

They don't have it though.

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I have C-class light cruiser plans on the hard drive, frames and hull lines and everything... I will look some more for Cavendish...

9. Tugboat

OMG and hehehe... you guys are not going to believe it... I was pretty sure I had nothing in my British section that was close...

Would ya believe plan and profile views plus hull frames of HMS Cavendish herself before she got converted to CV HMS Vindictive? And after, as well?

Is the reputation of Tugboat's legendary hard drive still intact? :)

10. Anachronus

So it seems.

11. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I wanted to make a hull mold for the Frobisher Class about 8 years ago but there was no interest in the hull when I asked if anyone wanted one. It's dimensions would be almost identical to the Houston Class that was a popular Swampy hull in the mid-1990s. The variants in the class allow some interesting modellling options and there are multiple gun positions including two guns on the low quarterdeck.
    'British Cruisers of WWII' has many photos of the class members plus good side and top view plans of Frobisher. Unfortunately there are only a few hull sections, but knowing the hull was a smaller scale version of that used for HMS Furious I was able to draw a set of cross-sections. Note that the angle where the bulges meet the hull is probably too sharp to cover with a single sheet of balsa. I'd put the stringer there and butt 2 pices of balsa together over it.
    I have a set of very nice 1/1250 scale Argonaut metal models of all the main variants in the class: Hawkins as completed, Vindicative as a training ship immediately before WWII with the bow hangar left from it's hybrid carrier days, Frobisher in the mid-1930s as a cadet training ship with an extra deck house aft for the cadets, and Effingham after conversion to a single funnelled 6" gun cruiser in WWII. Effingham was the most handsome of the class.
    If there's enough interest I'll make a hull plug. Stephen Morgret and I have an arrangement, confirmed last night, in which I'll produce hull plugs he's interested in and ship them to Strike Models, where the molds will be made.
    Bob

12. Bob Pottle

Hmm, seems that other than the one person who started the thread and me there is no interest in Frobisher Class fiberglass hulls. I can cross that one off the potential hulls list.
    Bob

13. Anachronus

First World War cruisers are not popular it seems. A pity.

14. Tugboat

Actually, I know someone who ordered an SMS Scharnhorst hull to go with his Baden over the winter. An SMS Deutschland would round out a nice trio, I think.

I don't think that Frobisher looks like a proper WWI cruiser. Unless I'm thinking of the wrong Frobisher?

15. Anachronus

Switching to the Imperialsts Comrade Tug?

16. Anachronus

I disagree. They are big boys but the single open mount guns are very Great War.

17. Bob Pottle

The Frobisher Class were a WWI design but none were completed during the war. They had a WWI - 1920s appearance and were an evolution of the D Class on a hull that was a smaller version of HMS Furious'. They had manually operated (!) shielded 7.5" guns.
    Prior to WWII the Admiralty considered rearming them with 3 twin 8" turrets like those on the County Class but it wasn't considered cost effective. Only Effingham was rebuilt and rearmed, receiving 9 x 6" guns. She was lost on an uncharted reef in a supposedly deep coastal channel during the Norwegian campaign.
    Her sister HMS Raleigh was lost in the early 1920s shortly after completion. She ran aground in fog while passing through the Strait of Belle Isle between the northern tip of Newfoundland and the south coast of Labrador and couldn't be salvaged. One of the psychiatric nurses I work with is from the Labrador community close to where Raleigh was abandoned. The remnants of the hull are still visible after almost 90 years and many of her neighbours have artifacts from the wreck. The wardroom piano was salvaged and remains in use in the communty center.
    Bob

18. Anachronus

Neat. I never knew they were a reduced version of the Furious (hull wise at any rate). Nor about the wreck of the Raleigh.

19. Anachronus

I agree on the SMS Deutschland. Think of the long service they gave from pre WW1 to the end of WW2.