HMS Hood

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Nick Park, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Nick Park

Nick Park Member

Hi all!
    At last, I've got around to doing a build.
    I just got the plans for the Hood from strike models this morning and am now impatiently waiting for the end of the month to buy the wood! :D

NickMyers likes this.
  2. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Why don't you buy the fiberglass Hood hull from Strike? The price is easily worth the time you'll spend building a wooden hull from scratch and you'll have more usable space in a fiberglass versus wodden hull, let alone how much longer a fiberglass hull will last. I made the Hood mould and had very accurate plans for it. I built my 1921 version of Hood (now owned by Larry Dingle) using the 'Anatomy of the Ship' series book on Hood - best plans available for all versions in my opinion.

3. Nick Park

Nick Park Member

Hi Bob, pleased to meet you :)
    I wanted to buy a fibreglass hull, but the problem is the shipping. I live just outside of paris and packages of 184cm are expensive to post.
    I believe its possible to make a wooden hull, slightly smaller and the use it as a mould. This also sounds like a cool idea.
    I've just put my HMS Erin next to the plan and discovered how large this beast is going to be!
    IMG_20150619_211525.jpg
    I'm thouroughly bluffed!
    The Hood is not only a beautiful ship but a giant!
    A question I wanted to ask is that on the plan there are 13 ribs thus approx 14cm apart. This seems to be a little wide in my opinion. Do you think I would have to put some more inbetween them? And also for the thickness of the ribs, what should I use? Taking into consideration that here in France we are metric and therefore my choice would be 5mm, 8mm(rare), 10mm and 15mm.

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Hi Nick! I will second Bob's high opinion of the Anatomy of the Ship books... the HMS Hood book is full of drawings that will make your life easier! It's like 25 Euros or somesuch on Amazon.fr...
    Linky: Amazon.fr - The Battlecruiser Hood - John Roberts - Livres

More to the point, I love wooden ships, and the AotS:HMS Hood has like 21 ribs in it's drawing, if I remember correctly.

Nick Park likes this.
  5. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Nick, did you ask Stephen (at Strike Models) for a shipping quote? As a business, we have access to some better shipping rates than just what is posted online.

6. Nick Park

Nick Park Member

Thanks Keri, it's a bit late now, as I've got my plans from stephen. I've decided to do it the traditional way. However there are a million bits I want from Strike models so I'm going to surely be a repeat customer, and, with some interest from some of my french friends. Especially for the CO2 bits and the cannons, and the plans etc.
    I'm having a hard time getting french modelers to get into the idea of building a battleship with the sole idea of potentially getting it sunk. They dont have the same sense of humour as us! lol
    On my french site I've had thousands of visits and got only 16 members. Half of them battlers from other countries which at least gets the few french members a little more interested and feeling less "alone".
    Thanks Tugboat. I'll look at that too. When I did the Erin, Plans alone were not enough, and any info is always useful.

7. Nick Park

Nick Park Member

Today I found some 5mm ply :)
    IMG_20150625_224916.jpg
    I'm building the hull in 3 parts in order to have a channel in the middle. The rear ribs are in place, and I'll put a couple of extras maybe later as the largest have 11 and 15 cm between each one.
    Tommorow the front!

Tugboat likes this.
  8. Nick Park

Nick Park Member

another evening of frames...
    IMG_20150626_203431.jpg
    I'm on a roll ;)

9. Nick Park

Nick Park Member

I think this is a first!
    Burglars at the house...
    IMG_20150629_010412.jpg

I'll start again, It takes more than that to keep me down!

Tugboat likes this.
  10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Why not just go with the Fiberglass hull and deck kit and go with that build first. Then after you have it built start a wooden version of it. You could probably learn a lot from it and have the best of both worlds.

11. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  12. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
    Tugboat and Nick Park like this.
  13. Nick Park

Nick Park Member

I recovered 7 unbroken ribs, now the Hood will rise up like a pheonix!
    IMG_20150725_175052.jpg
    I fortunately glued the ribs with a minimum of wood glue so I could put epoxy resin on all the joint when its finished. ( I dont believe that wood glue is very good against either time, temperature change or water. In fact, all the wooden bits will get a coat of epoxy just before the glassing is done.
    Thanks for the ideas McSpuds! I'll be watching your build with much interest. I like your work very much.

14. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Someone seriously broke into your house and on the way thru, broke your ship?

15. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Some people are animals

16. Nick Park

Nick Park Member

yup!, Like I said, it's probably a first.
    I'm kinda proud to have some bits left over to start again. It takes more than a couple of ar**holes to sink the mighty Hood ;)

17. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Indeed. It requires Germans!

18. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Don't skip too much on the wood glue. Use Titebond III

Titebond - Product
    This is a waterproof wood glue available in most stores. Wood glue is designed to penetrate the wood grains and when dry, is normally harder than the wood you glued together, and the wood will break before the joint. With wood, if I have the time to let glue set, I will always prefer to use wood glue over anything, even resins..

I seal my wood with fiberglass resin, and use West System epoxy on the top decks because it looks good after cured.

Nick Park and Tugboat like this.
  19. ish311

ish311 Active Member

aye. i have broken apart 3-4 ships that i used wood glue and the plywood would de-laminate before the tightbond would.

20. Nick Park

Nick Park Member

you are abseloutly right!
    I prefer to put a good coat of epoxy on all the wood, it seals the wood and all imperfections in the joints.
    The fotos will come eventually when Ive finished the wooden bits :)

Tugboat likes this.