hms lion

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by soccermaster8, Jul 14, 2007.

1. soccermaster8

soccermaster8 New Member

i'm new here and was looking to get started.and was woundering if any one had a lion and there opinions on it.

andrew

2. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Lions are nice boats. They will perform differently depending on what format you are battling in. Where are you from and what format would you build Lion for?
    El Bobo
    Washington Treaty Combat

3. soccermaster8

soccermaster8 New Member

i am from westerville ohio.

4. soccermaster8

soccermaster8 New Member

and not sure what format i would use for

5. soccermaster8

soccermaster8 New Member

also woundering every ones opinion on von der tan and mabey looking for a used one.

andrew

6. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

VDT is a great ship. I dont know of any used ones for sale right now. You can find clubs in your area and there formatof going to the local club section on the home page.

7. TRich19

TRich19 Member

andrew when did you make a profile?

8. TRich19

TRich19 Member

hey have you seen how many posts my des moines thing has also i found this sick airsoft sniper you gotta see

9. TRich19

TRich19 Member

look at the home page column it will have "club types"

10. TRich19

TRich19 Member

also check out the north carolina on pg 5 of my des moines forum its sick
    o and i found out that the units stand for the amount of gun/pumps you can have so on a des moines you get triple sterns and a .5 unit bilge pump

11. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Which HMS Lion? The WWI battlecruiser, or the WWII battleship?
    Do you want to run Big-gun, or Fast-gun? There are many differences between the two formats. Not just gun calibres.
    Ships that work well in one format can be cannon fodder in the other.
    Best to find local clubs, attend a few battles, talk to the old hands face to face, get all the information you need, then decide.
    This forum is filled with experienced people ready and willing to help rookies. As long as you think about any question you have before you ask it, you will get answers.

12. soccermaster8

soccermaster8 New Member

i would probally use fast gun on it.

andrew

13. soccermaster8

soccermaster8 New Member

what is a good starting ship that will pack a pretty power full pounch. or ones i could find used.

andrew

14. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

I-Boats(Invincible, Inflexible, Indomitable) Teh VDT, some what the Des Moines they may be more that i cant rember right now though. But thats for fast gun

15. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

For small/fast gun work your best bets are probably a German Von Der Tann (AKA VDT) for the Axis and any of the HMS Invincible/Indefatigable class battlecruisers (AKA I-Boats) for the Allies. These ships pack a decent punch, have medium speed, and are all highly maneuverable.

An added benefit, and one to not be under-estimated is the greater simplicity. Fewer guns means fewer guns to break, less co2 fittings to leak, etc. A lot of new guys seem to get caught up in the idea that more guns is better and that's not always true, especially when you can't get those extra guns to work right. Follow the KISS principle and you will be golden.

As for big gun...and let me clarify, I'm not a big gunner, so take the following with a big grain of salt...I believe what is recommended for beginners are "treaty battleships". These are ships usually between 25-35,000 tons and carry 8-10 main guns. Examples of this type of ship are the German Scharnhorst, USN South Dakota, USN North Carolina, and British HMS King George V. Big gun also allows you to use never built hypothetical ships as well, so there may be some other options available such as the Japanese B-65 battlecruisers and the Dutch battlecruisers.

Mike D

16. soccermaster8

soccermaster8 New Member

so i shouldn't go all out on guns and turetts but keep it simple.

andrew

17. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Small/fast gun ships are by their very nature simpler then big gun ships. If you choose one of the small gun formats (IRCWCC, MWCI, BBC, or Washington Treaty) any of those ships I mentioned (and the WW1 Lion for that matter) are class 4 ships and will usually be outfit with 3 guns total and 1 pump.

As for anything else, before proceeding any farther, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend going to read the rules for the various formats before you do ANYTHING else. Reading the rules will answer 90% of your questions before you ask them.

Mike D

18. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hey Andrew
    I am right over in Newark! We have a Guy in Croton right next to Heartford fair grounds! Any way drop me a line. Now a Vonder Tan is a good ship and so are the I boats. Some thing to consider also is how much room do you have to haul one of these around? The Vonder Tans and I boats are mid sized so they dont take a lot of room but once you get in to the Battleships like the North Carolinas they are very good sized and eat up room fast.

19. soccermaster8

soccermaster8 New Member

i have plunty of space to workn with so thats not a problem.

20. TRich19

TRich19 Member

yea youve got two trucks and a huge work shed like thing at your disposal