HMS Nelson - My First Hull

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Quintanius, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Quintanius

Quintanius Member

I pulled the old Nelson from the shelf and took a peek at some of the things I done with her a few years ago. Got busy with life and had to shelf her. Definately will finish her someday...that was a fun summer project, somewhere 5 years ago.
    CIMG4111.jpg
    CIMG4115.jpg
    CIMG4111.jpg
    CIMG4112.jpg
    CIMG4113.jpg
    CIMG4114.jpg
    CIMG4116.jpg
    CIMG4117.jpg

2. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

That looks a lot nicer than some of my unfinished projects. Obviously the seal coat on the wood has held up well, it looks very solid.

3. Quintanius

Quintanius Member

Its varnish - not sure if that works or not, but seemed like the thing to do. Its tight. The sloping bottom I created has expanded foam in the voids to keep out any water that may leak into the hull. I added tons of stringers at the bottom imprenetrable area to help get the hull rigid and surface area to glue balsa on. I think I stained the wood, for whatever reason, but it helped show off the highspots when I was sanding, as you can see on the hull bottom. Its basically ready for fiberglassing. Probably do that one first, my test model, before working on the H-39 glassing project. That was kind of the idea...work on an easy boat, learn and then build the boat I wanted to build. The holes in the horizontal ribs were used to string the ribs all together and keep them level..used a steel rod for that. Made it much easier to work with too.
    Thomas

4. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

You really need to get that lovely piece of work completed and on the water.
    The hobby needs more Nelson/Rodneys out there to keep those evil Bismarcks in line.

5. Quintanius

Quintanius Member

Tell me about it - like that ship was famous or something. Its pretty for sure. I'd also like to build one of the Lion Class BB's...no plans for it yet, but sounds nice. Love the King George V, and some of the Italian BB's are nice too...
    I'd really like to build a destroyer though...like at 1/96 scale, or whatever it needs to be so that the ship is about 4-5 feet long. One of the Z class German Destroyers...love those ladies.