HMS Renown

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by BoomerBoy17, Sep 25, 2008.

1. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

I know its large, but it has 4 units and moves at 24 seconds. Any idea on feasibility of buying one(especially if someone knows where to get it), and building it, for a rookie. Good or bad: gun positions, turning, size, ect? Thanks for the help.

2. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

It won't work for IRCWCC because it's no faster than battleships, and it has a smaller rudder (single - class 4). I know of several other large class 4 ships and the weren't successful.

It might work better under Treaty rules because it's so fast that nothing big can catch it. (well almost nothing -- Iowa can catch it and eat it)

3. BoomerBoy17

oh, ok, its just that ur thread piqued my interest, so i thought i'd ask. Thanks

4. the frog

the frog Member

Mikey is running that ship with great sucess

5. BoomerBoy17

But mikey isnt a rookie, is he? Most likely has much more experience then i do

6. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Under the combat X sysytem Curt is devolping the Renoun as will all battle cruisers will be usefull part of the problem is the class system of only a class 4 in IRCWCC but she is in the same weight class as scharnhorst which is a class 5.5 there is somethig wrong with this as scharnhorst is a battlecrusier not a battleship as the IRCWCC lists it. If you go to there list by weight in the construction rules Renoun would be a class 5 and would recieve a larger rudder and could defend herself better as she would have 4 cannons. As it says in the consruction rule in section H part 2 and I quote " Listed below are the authorized classes for combat ships and the total offensive/defensive units allowed. This list takes precedence over any entries shown in the Ship List." So useing this Renoun would be a class 5 not a class 4.

7. BoomerBoy17

It seems like every ship i look at would be better under Curt's system. That may be saying something.

8. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

"as scharnhorst is a battlecrusier not a battleship as the IRCWCC lists it"

This is not true. The Germans always called her a "schlachtshiff" which is a battleship. The BRITISH were the only ones who rated her as a battlecrusier, and as per RN convention this seems to be based on speed rather then any combination of characteristics, as they did G3 and even Vanguard as a fully armoured battlecruiser.

Also, 11.1" guns count as capital ship guns so regardless of what anyone says about her trading gun power for speed, she is in BB realms with both firepower and protection (14 inch main belt), and thus Scharnhorst is a battleship regardless of what the British called her.

9. crzyhawk

Mikey Deskin's Renown did fairly well in Treaty, but that's a far cry from how it would do in the IRCWCC. In treaty, I think the WW1 version is a bit better because of it's speed advantage. The WW2 version at 30 knots can be run down easily by Bismarks and Scharnhorsts, not to mention several of the hypos out there that people could build if they wanted to.

In the IRCWCC, it would be a floating target to soak up damage and drag down the Allied team. I would not recommend one for a rookie.

10. the frog

the frog Member

Scharnhorst is a battle ship in every sence of the word

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Renown under Combat-X Renown full displacement falls within the >30,000-Also your bow and stern quadrants are 60 degree arcs with 30 degree segmments port and stbd of the centerline.

Renown also carried Torps . You can subdivide one cannon unit into a 25 unit cannon spurt/torpedoe and use the remaining unit as a 1/2 unit pump or another torpedoe spurt, or just a straight 25 mag shot cannon. Some options here.

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Renown under Combat-X Renown full displacement falls within the >30,000-Also your bow and stern quadrants are 60 degree arcs with 30 degree segmments port and stbd of the centerline.

Renown also carried Torps . You can subdivide one cannon unit into a 25 unit cannon spurt/torpedoe and use the remaining unit as a 1/2 unit pump or another torpedoe spurt, or just a straight 25 mag shot cannon. Some options here. You can mount your torp system on the broadside in approx location of the actual torps. The downangle has to be 20 degrees or greater.

[:)]

13. Chris Easterbrook

How do you say that Scharnhoarst is a battleship when the German navy even listed her as a Battlecruiser, yes she had better armor than most battlecruisers but her main guns were very underpowered at only 11" guns, Janes and most other sources list scharnhorst as a battlecuiser. I for one in a real world situation had to choose between Scharny or Renoun I would choose Renoun for her ability to hit hard and she was the same speed but had less armor, this is a miss match if I have heard of one, while Scharny could fire more often she would be hard pressed to damage Renoun but Renouns 15" guns would have not trouble damaging Scharny but that is my opion.

14. crzyhawk

I'm not sure where you got your information from, but the Germans most assuredly did NOT call her a battlecruiser. Jane's and Conway's are both British publications, and any mis-classifications they make often get carried on. They were called schlactshiff, not schlactkruezer (a designation NEVER used by the Germans BTW, even the ww1 BCs were called grossekreuzer or large cruiser).

http://german-navy.de/kriegsmarine/ships/battleships/gneisenau/history.html

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-fornv/germany/gersh-s/scharn2.htm

15. the frog

the frog Member

I believe the original criteria for designation was that a battle cruiser had bb guns and cruiser speed and armor.I believe the scharny had heavier armor than the bismark.The germans originally called the scharny by the designation battleship "p" I believe. It even sais so in conways description

16. Chris Easterbrook

After doing more research I have found that both classifications are relevent as she could be the most heavily armored battlecruiser or the most unser gunned battleship built after world war one. The two ships of that class were intended to recive 6 15" guns in dual mounts but it was never completed. the dutch had designed a battlecuiser off of the Scharnhorst class but it was never completed, that and other sources including the german naval archive have rated Schanhorst as a battlecuiser. The other thing I would like to add is that most nations were afraid of using the title of battlecruiser after the first world war, even the US called the Alaska class a Large Cruiser when in fact she was a battlecruiser. You could talk to 10 different naval historians and get 10 different answers as to the question was the Schanhorst class a battleship or battlecruiser. The germans even reclassified the deutschland class to a heavy cruiser during the war dropping the title of pocket battleship.

17. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

The key is to build a ship that you like. If you like the Renown you should build it. There are many people in the hobby that have built ships because, "they were the ship to have" and were never happy running that ship. Then there were people that ran the "ships to have" and liked them. I guess it all comes down to what you want out of the hobby.

18. BoomerBoy17

Well, ive always wanted to do a small British cruiser, but i hear so much against it, that it doesnt seem right.

19. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Like what for example? What small British Cruiser are you referring to?

20. TheMackster

TheMackster Member

I'm building my class 3, 3 unit Kent class British cruiser. It's going to be fun trying to stay alive with it, but if the big boys want to close in and blast me I'll have a couple of spurt guns (aka torpedoes) waiting for them.

They may nail me but they won't enjoy it. LOL