HMS Vanguard plans

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by mowielx, Jul 9, 2010.

1. mowielx

mowielx New Member

Hi all,

Does anyone know where i can find some plans for HMS Vanguard (1940's).

Any help would be great.

Thanks
    Tom

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

George Goff has Vanguard plans. The frames are correct, but the plan view (overhead view) is too skinny by a half an inch. Brian Koehler and I built a pair of Vanguards using the plans, just be aware of the discrepancy. As long as you cut the ribs according to the frames drawing, and then cut the deck to fit the frames (not the plan view), thne you'll be fine.

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

His Kilkis/Mississippi plans have a similar problem. The or at least they did not match the dimensions of BC's hull.

4. Anachronus

Which is correct? The ribs or the plan view?

5. Tugboat

The ribs are correct.

6. Anachronus

Duh...short term memory is clearly not my strength today.

7. Tugboat

It's 105 outside here. I can't trust my memory to get me home from work, much less abstract things...

8. Superb Cat

Superb Cat Member

I've got a copy of the Goff plans but havent built it, the frames etc may be right but the stern(rudder is wrong ) as it shouldbe more like the Lion stern and rudder. Looks too deep for me with too small a rudder area.
    cheers

9. Tugboat

That wasn't a big deal in our case, as we built the rudder to fit MWC rules, not to the one shown on the plans. The aft end doesn't look dramatically wrong relative to the pictures of Vanguard in the book I have. What's Lion's back end look like?

10. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

11. Tugboat

Your Lion's stern doesn't look dramatically different from our Vanguards, what's the discrepancy in the plans? Please post some more pics of your Lion, though, looks like a good hull.

12. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

That looks very much like the Vanguard Hull I have in my basement that was done by Bob Pottle.

13. Superb Cat

Superb Cat Member

Lion's stern from the bottom of the transom to the rudder is quite a shallow angle and makes her rudder comparable to the KGV's/Nelson style in size ratio compared to the whole hull length, vanguards is probably twice as steep an angle from transom to rudder, and the rudder from the plans looks to be only 3/4 the size of the Lion's.
    I've got a photo of Lion's stern in the camera at home so I'll get it and try to post it here tomorrow. Someone leave instructions just in case I have a stupid attack if you can.
    Cheers

14. mowielx

mowielx New Member

Hi guys,

I got the set of plans, all is well apart from the fact we use a specific rib thickness based on a specific distance between them. The plans i have the profile details are at changeable distances. Has anyone got any drawings showing constant distances of 50mm or 76mm. Long shot i know. Next thought is to make a cad model, or make the hull using the given profile not gluing it and once created guess the profile from the drawings and slot them in to see how good the fit is.

Cheers

15. Tugboat

I would get Delftship or something similar and model the hull, then take sections at whatever spacing you want.

16. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

If you're using the fiberglass hulls made from my mold (sold to Strike Models) all you need is a plan for the main deck and superstructure. The Vanguard plans I used were from a book on Allied battleships of WWII and are good enough for a highly detailed model. I borrowed the book from Ralph Coles and don't remember the title but there's a companion book on Axis battleships of WWII.
    There are also very detailed plans of the deck and superstructure in Raven and Roberts' 'British Battleships of World War II". Do a web search and you'll probably find more plan options. Fleetscale sells them for their 1/125 scale Vanguard. Grey Wolf Squadron makes a nice set of turrets, which are going on my HMS Vanguard.
    Bob