Hobby King 6 ch transmitter information thread

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by GregMcFadden, Dec 5, 2009.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Folks, I am just starting this to point to good sources for information for the hobby king transmitters:

First, a good programming utility:
    www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11762129&postcount=390
    That program works well on windows XP and windows 7. As an aside, if you have connection issues, the culprit is almost certainly the plug at the back of the transmitter.

For the interface cable and windows 7 or XP, you will need interface drivers. If you have the CP210X USB to UART cable, those can be found here:

www.silabs.com/products/interface/u...fault.aspx
    https://www.silabs.com/products/interface/usbtouart/Pages/default.aspx

And the really powerful one: Pocket PC setup software
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1013232
    www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php

Hope this helps folks.

_Greg

2. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Do you know of the drivers for vista?

3. GregMcFadden

I do not, try the win7 drivers

4. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Actually, they sell a different cable for Vista. Not sure the XP cable will work at all.

Cheers,

5. GregMcFadden

Wreno, those drivers are for the "Vista" cable when used under windows 7 (that is the cable I have)

6. GregMcFadden

the "vista" cable also works perfectly well under XP

7. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Interesting. Thanks. I have a couple of each, just in case (but no Vista ) :)

8. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

How reliable and how hard is it to program the Hobby King transmitter?

9. GregMcFadden

reliability I can not speak to, but it is quite easy to program, you just have to have a computer.

10. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Its a pain in the butt having to take a computer to the lake to do a speed test. Once that is done I dont think I will ever have to change anything again.

11. GregMcFadden

I am planning on taking my wife's old craptop (2001 vintage thinkpad), getting a 12V->16V dc converter for the car, and having it on hand for programming them

12. wrenow

wrenow RIP

That is a good plan. I actually got an Asus eeePC 900 netbook for this purpose. It fits in the radio box, and I have other uses, like running the church organ, that it fits perfectly into as well. And, is light and handy on the road. For $200 or less.......

As to the earlier question about quality, reliability, etc. I found mine to be solid and easy to mod. Seems solid and reliable, but I have only had them for something over 6-7 months. The feel and fit and finish is surprisingly good for the price. And, yes, once you have everything dialed in, it is unlikely that you will need a confuser at the pond again. However, Murphy attends our battles, so it is a really good idea to bring a programming confuser. Remember, if you have it you will not need it. It is only when you don't have it that you will need it.

13. Superarp

Superarp Member

wait, so that thing acts as an esc as wel????l "Its a pain in the butt having to take a computer to the lake to do a speed test. Once that is done I dont think I will ever have to change anything again."

14. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Ummmm. No. The redio RX is not an ESC.
    The radio is a radio, like any other radio. The point is, that to set the ESC endpoints, you need End Point Adjustment which is via the computer link. Thus, if you want to adjust speed endpoints at the pond, you need some form of compatible computer, notebook computer, or netbook. Some have even cobbled a PDA interface for some older PDSs.