HobbyKing transmitter/receiver question

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Mark41, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

Hi Guys..
    I just purchased a HobbyKing 2.4ghz transmitter and receiver but did not get an owner's manual with it. Does anyone have this transmitter and receiver. My question is, the servo and battery plugs work both ways into the receiver, and I'm concerned if I turn it on I might fry the receiver if the polarity is wrong. Can someone advise which way the servo plug wires are to be installed????
    white or black towards the circuit board?
    thanks,
    Mark

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

The black leads plug in to the outside edge of the receiver. Signal wire, white or yellow goes to the inside towards the circuit board. Power center.

3. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Just picked up a reciver for my JR transmitter.
    My battery pack has a two wire lead, but the reciever has a three pin socket for the battery to plug into!!!!!
    Do I need to purchase a JR battery pack?

4. djranier

Nope, batterys always just have the 2 leads. The black lead usually goes to the bottom, or outside edge of the receiver. Another way to be sure, is to use a Ohm meter and measure for the short from socket to socket. One side will be shorted to the one besides it, that will be where the black lead plugs it, centers are the power, so they also will be shorted to each other. The signal end of the connector will not show a short on the meter, so the white or yellow wire goes into that side of the connector.

Hope this helps.

5. Knight4hire

The last time I had attached power to my old Rx, it had a wonderful red glow and started to smoke!
    So I purchased a new RX. This one of the same Brand Name as my Tx.

Had a wonderful time today playing with my new JR Rx and old Tx.

Attached the servos, applied power to the Rx. The Servos jumped. Turned on power to the Tx. Nothing happens.....
    Tried a different Rx, Same result.
    Tried a different Tx, Same result!
    Replace the batteries, Same result!
    Tried a different brand of Tx and Rx, Same result!

UGH!!!!!!!

I think that I am ready to pull my hair out by the roots and go out and buy on of those Spectrum systems!

6. djranier

Were they on the same freq?

7. themackster2

themackster2 New Member

Hey Knight,

If they were 2.4ghz radio and receiver, did you remember to sync them to each other before you
    tried using them? If they were older FM style radios, what djranier said, were they on the same
    frequency?

8. Knight4hire

I have a 72 Meg FM unit.

All of the Crystals are channel 50.

And yes, we put the Tx crystals in the Transmitter and the Rx crystals in the receiver.

9. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

First off, always turn on the transmitter BEFORE the receiver!!!! Turning on the Receiver first is a BAD practice because someone else can control your boat and fire your guns AT YOU! Second do not use 72 mhz on Boats, they should be on 75 mhz (surface frequency) or 2.4 Ghz (anything) or 27 mhz (anything) or Ham (anything).

If your servos jump they are getting power and your receiver is probably working. But.... the receiver is not receiving a valid signal (either wrong frequency or the transmitter is not putting out anything.) Try contacting your local HAM club and they can measure the output of the transmitter to tell if it is transmitting at all, and maybe can tell you what frequency it is putting out. Problem could be using the wrong crystals (either a different manufacturer or wrong band for the radio.

10. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

Plus if a Zoomie Bunny (read R/C Aircraft) gets a hair up their arse they can report you for a FCC violation (read fine) if your in America. It is illegal to use air radios on surface units and the reverse is true. Plus it is just bad juju.

11. Knight4hire

Broke down and purchase a Spectrum system.
    Plan to do the shake down cruise today.

12. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Be aware that, even with the same brand RX you are not "for sure" compatible. There are issues like single/dual conversion, AM vs FM, PPM va PCM etc., or in the 2.4gHz Spektrum world, DSM vs DSM2.

By the way, the Turborix 2.4gHz 6 channel computer radio is available for about $60-70 including the shipping. At least one is undedrgoing battle testing at present.

Cheers,
    Wreno