How do I get started?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JustinScott, Sep 6, 2007.

1. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

All new guys, infact everyone, should list in their profile what state they live. This will help the rest of us answer the question "Where do I start?".

The answer is always "by attending a battle"; the next one in your area is on DayX and will be at LocationY.

Only after we have sorted you out to a group can we start discussing which ship is best to build. The reason for this is many groups have different rules, therefore what works well in one group might work poorly in another.

2. Java-Junkie

Java-Junkie New Member

how big are these boats? are they life size or really small?

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

depending on the group, 1/144 scale to 1/72 scale, although I have occasionally heard rumors of larger.

A 1/144 scale yamato is ~6 feet long and on the order of 55 pounds. a 1/72 scale one is ~12 feet long and 8 times heavier. (assuming I did the math correctly)

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

My Bismarck will be about 8 and a half feet long when done. But I like to keep my back healthy, so it'll split in the middle (longways) into two 4-footish pieces for transport.

Most of the little boats are between 4 and 6 feet long, much more manageable.

5. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Will you make a sweet spot on her like the clowns in the cage over a pool of water but instead of falling in when it gets hit she will split in half like a good torpedo hit and go to the bottom? that would be cool to see a ship do that especially an Axis ship [;)]

6. Tugboat

Mmmmm.... NOPE!

7. Powder Monkey

Dang LOL

Often wondered about split hulls it must be solid at each end yes than just locked together I would assume

8. Tugboat

Where they join it's very strong, but there is a large open area so that water in one end can pass thru. But the two halves will bolt together. No explosive bolts :)

9. Powder Monkey

I still like the trap door thing [:D]