Hull stability idea

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Tumor, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Tumor

Tumor Member

Destroyers and most all cruisers. I'ved learned they like to roll/bob alot in the water. For most builds out there, we use epoxy/lead, or the cement sealer/lead in the bottem sides of the hull. However i have a different idea i want to try out on my 1st cruiser build.
    Looking at Bilge keels, skegs and the keel itself
    Could we make the bilge keels out of sealed off hollow tube, or foam to allow the sides of the ship to be more buoyant? Then, make the skeg and keel from balsa. However down at the lower most point, have a steel or lead bar? Just the way a real sailboat would have.
    Or, have the bottom (or outside bottom) of the water channel made from a 1/16"-1/8" steel or lead bar?
    The point would be to get all the ballasted weight centered in the hull as much as possible instead of placing the weights on the sides of the waterchannel. Have them low as possible, and possibly have the sides of the ship more buoyant from the hollow/foam bilge keels.
    Thoughts?

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I have seen some people epoxy thin lead sheets to the bottom of the hull, then blend them in.