Ideas For a Hull

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by BoomerBoy17, Jul 11, 2008.

1. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Are there any hulls (fiberglass or wood) for an LST-542 class landing ship available?Im not looking for just a hull,(preferably cheaper, I wouldnt mind plans too). If so, since I will not be home from now until next sunday, leave me an email

Thank you for any information. Lastly, this ship will be used in a fast gun enviorment, and though I know that its not a smartr idea to have a convoy, this will be my first build. I chose the LST-542, because of its tiny draught, so it will be hard pressed to recieve under-the-water-line hits.

2. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Do you know why it's not a good idea to build a convoy as your first ship? The fast gun clubs generally don't do any convoy battles except at NATS and usually it's only one battle.

So, if you build it, you won't be able to actually battle it very often, unless you like playing the part of the deer in "Deerhunter". I'd very strongly recommend you build something else...even if it's unarmed.

If you build something like a cruiser and have no guns on it, at least you're be a fast deer (24 seconds) as opposed to a three legged, blind deer (LST at 34 seconds).

3. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Good Luck with that crazy I tried already [V]

4. crzyhawk

Gotta try to help new guys as much as possible. You can lead them to water, but can't force them to drink :)

Then, there are those who you lead to the bar to get a beer (Clevelands) and they say no thanks, could I have some milk (Baltimores) instead!

Just kidding ya! I do like your Boston, good looking ship. Did you camo it up? I recently saw a video from like 86 that had a Baltimore in it with the dazzle paintjob. Very cool looking ship.

5. Powder Monkey

Nope the plan is she will be Grey and red below her black boot as she was at delivery time to Uncle Sam. for next season we are going with her war paint from Task Force 38 and 58 the pacific fleet blue or better known as measure 21 the overall navy blue scheme that was deemed to be effective against Kamikaze . I believe those where the only colors she ever wore I know the Baltimore wore some of that crazy war paint at one time but not her sister .

6. crzyhawk

Ah very cool. In 1945 she wore measure 22, which was blue with light grey upperworks. If you havent seen it, here is a website that has the paint schemes for most USN ships during WW2. It's a pretty awesome reference.

http://www.shipcamouflage.com/camouflage_database.htm

7. Powder Monkey

Nice Site

8. crzyhawk

yeah I really like it a lot. It's a great resource for guys who are interested in painting their ship correctly. I personally want to do the MS1/MS5 scheme on my Salt Lake City...she was the only ship in the fleet to carry that experimental scheme.

9. BoomerBoy17

Sorry crazy, i know what i want, and i am very stubborn about my choice, but it doesnt seem like anyone has hulls [:p]

10. BoomerBoy17

I also want to do a FS Richelieu, but with 2 pumps(that is legal in IRCWCC, right? I want all the help i can get, plus, i dont want to 1)make the ship ugly, and to 2) make it easier, 4 guns versus 5) and 2 sidemounts in each main cannon. But not many people are making hulls for that either, so i want to do a ship first, before i go all out. And i know you dont like that monk, but your just jealous, because when my Richelieu hits the water, your Iowa will be toast. [}:)]

11. BoomerBoy17

Im seriously considering just printing off the plans and making my own, but im not sure how to do that. i think i will do some research in the construction thread.

12. BoomerBoy17

Ok, monk, crzy; tell me what you guys think. I see if i can get Tugboat to get the LST-542 plans on the file manager(his website sayd they should be there, but they are not). Then ill print them off and make ribs. Then i will make a base board, because the LST-542 is flat bottomed, then ill make a cut out in the ribs to fit on the ribs, CA glue it, and then go from there. What do you guys think?

oh, and if its not as flat bottomed as i think it is(or just any way) i might lay down the subdeck first, then build the ribs off of that, and then the bottom 'baseboard' thing to fit. And once that is done, since the 45 degree rules makes sure i have no area on the side of my boat that isnt inpenetrable, the only part of the ship made out of inpenetrable material is the bottom, right? Well first off i need to see the plans, dont I?

lastly, ive heard alot about aircraft-grade plywood. what is the story with that, how much does it cost and lastly, where do i find it? Thank you everyone.

13. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

I can answer that last one; there are a few options. First, there's your local hobby shop that you can try, National Balsa (Visit this site) is in Ware, MA, then you have the options from Aircraft Spruce (Visit this site). I recommend going with a birch plywood (sometimes called Baltic plywood or Finnish Birch plywood) as the hardness/durability of that particular grade seem best suited to our usage of the material. Lite ply (more flexible and lighter-density plywood made from poplar) can be useful for applications where weight constraints take priority over traditional durability but somebody else will need to speak as to its performance in actual use on the pond.

14. Powder Monkey

I like these guys better no minimum order and better wood the other guys sent me bananna wood and would take it back

http://www.balsastore.com/store/categories.php
    will be more detailed after I return sorry kid have to pack see you all later

15. BoomerBoy17

Thanks guys, still looking around for now. Best of luck monk, Do well, and cant wait to here from you guys when you get back (hopefully victorious [:D])

16. Mike Horne

Mike Horne Active Member

Hey, a friend of mine has pics of some of his LST internal up on the MABG forums. Boomer take a look :)

Mike

17. BoomerBoy17

Mike, i would be really interested in those pics, post them if you can please