IJN Amagi?

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Superarp, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Superarp

Superarp Member

Has anyone tried to make the IJN amagi? It was laid down and would have 10 1/4 inch. At 826 feet long, she would only be an inch shorter then the yamaoto, with 1/8 inch armor and a 23 sec speed.

2. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

I assume you mean the Amagi as a battlecruiser? Some clubs allow "hypothetical" ships that didn't enter service and others don't, so you'd need to check that before committing to the project. I've never heard of anyone building this ship, but it could be interesting.

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I don't have Conway's with me, but a quick perusal of Wikipedia reveals the stats of the Amagi-class battlecruiser. 10-inch main belt, 10x 16" guns in five twin turrets, and 30-knots on a 47,000t hull. In Big-Gun terms that's 3/32" armor, 10x 1/4" guns, and 37.5 seconds on the Big Gun speed chart. It'd be a decent fighter, but no better than any number of similar, non-hypothetical ships. Its 5-turret layout unfortunately drops #3 turret in a really bad location, so it probably won't be very useful. Also, its twin turrets are not as effective as an equal number of guns in triple or quadruple turrets. Personally, if I were to build a hypothetical, I'd rather have a Montana, Normandie, Alsace, WWII Lion, or Sovietsky Soyuz class.

4. Superarp

Superarp Member

Thanks