IJN Fubuki 1/72

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Fubuma, Oct 17, 2024 at 10:14 AM.

1. Fubuma

Fubuma New Member

Aloha all!

I was fortunate enough to have a friend who had a 3D model of Fubuki. He’s going to take the hull and deck, blow it up to 1/72, and send me the files. From there I’m going to prepare it for printing.

I’m probably going to print the subdeck first. I’ve never printed for this, so I’m wondering if any of you have recommendations for subdeck thickness?

I’ll post construction updates here!

Boatmeister likes this.
  2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

For combat applications, the subdeck needs to be thick enough to take a beating. The usual build is about 1/4" thick on the subdeck, with about a 1/8" deck on top of that. We usually have a lip on the subdeck to align and hold the deck, so the thickness measured at the edge is actually 3/8". This hull feature is pretty apparent if you look at various warship build threads.

Since this is not intended for combat, do you intend to make the hull penetrable with windows and balsa sheeting, or not?

3. Fubuma

Fubuma New Member

I honestly might, because that kind of function might be cool. But if I were to build the hull out of wood, wouldn’t balsa in general be easier to plank the hull with? If you have other material recommendations, I’m open to them!