IJN Tone

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Gettysburg114th, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Discussion: IJN Tone. One or two rudders?
    Anyone ever see anything showing two rudders in this ship?
    Thanks,

2. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

one http://www.scrapcombatships.com/shiplist/japan.html

3. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Lacroix/Wells Japanese Cruisers of the Second World was says 1. Mogami class is 2.

4. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

It's only got one. I don't think I'll let that stop me from building it though. While I like the Mogami better for her history, there are too many of them on the water. Tone is my pick.

5. Gettysburg114th

Nice to be able to build a ship that you like Mike. I was just thinking , years ago someone from Texas said they found info that it had 2.

6. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

I think Aoba is the only other ship beside Mogami that is Japanese that gets 2 rudders and even then the Aoba is still questionable.

Tone is a nice ship. I am wanting to build be Nachi Class Heavy Cruiser. Well atleast a mold to one. but for now I get enough on my plate. Mike have fun building the Tone. I am sure you will love it.

7. Gettysburg114th

I had a Nachi years ago. I had a blast with it. I'll try to find some pictures and post them.

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

[:)]
    I had an AOBA. It had only 1 rudder. We built it using a 1/700 scale waterline model as reference so I don't know if it has 2 rudders.

9. crzyhawk

The Mogami class cruisers are the only ones in the IJN to have 2 rudders. The Japanese felt it was no advantage and reverted to a single rudder for the follow-on Tone and Ibuki class (built to Suzuya specs).

You're right Bob. Under our rules, having a single rudder isn't terrible since she's still got 35 knots to work with. Is a Mogami better? Yeah, it is. Is it so much better that it's not worth it to build a Myoko, Takao or Tone? Nope, not in my opinion. You could make a solid argument in favor of Takao and her 3.5 units on 35 knots as being the best of the breed, depending on what you want to do.

I'm looking forward to doing the Tone myself. if nothing else, she'd be neat to see on the water. I'm kind of surprised with her speed, torps, and concentrated gun armament they aren't popular torpedo ships in Big Gun.

10. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Michael in Australia only make the Tone hull as a Japanese heavy cruiser, so he must of been thinking the same as you Crzyhawk.

Visit this site

11. Gettysburg114th

I always like the look of the Tone. Years ago Gerald ran one at the IRC Nats in Knoxville. He did quite well with it. He did however run in to the side of the pond. That knocked the bow off. I can still hear him asking if anyone saw his bow.

12. crzyhawk

Being an Allied skipper at heart, Tone has some appeal to me in being central in one of the Allies' biggest victories of WW2. It was Tone's number 4 scout which was late 30 minutes taking off at Midway, and was ultimately the scout which located the American fleet. #4 THEN proceeded to send a very vague contact report that indicated no carriers present.

Had Chikuma been assigned that search sector, things may have gone differently!

13. Gettysburg114th

Mike, As we replay history on our small ponds things will be different.

14. ProfessorChaos

ProfessorChaos Active Member

I cannot find any information to justify Takao's 3.5 units. Other than the shiplst, does anyone have any data that lists her as >12,000 tons standard? I've just finished researching the stats for all IJN cruisers for our shiplist and none of the sources list her that heavy.

15. crzyhawk

Lacroix and Wells gives her 14,109 tons in 2/3 trial condition. That's as close to "standard' as you're probably going to get in Japanese records. Full displacement is listed as 15,186 tons. Light displacement is 11,406 tons.

16. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Conway's list this info for Takao
    Published standard displ.... 9850 tons
    Actual standard displ.... 11,350 tons
    After modernization..stand displ went up to... 13,400 tons
    Mikey

17. ProfessorChaos

ProfessorChaos Active Member

Only the 'as build' standard counts. She's a 3 unit cruiser.

18. Gettysburg114th

Depends on the format you play?

19. Gettysburg114th

Mike, I found a site on the web for Japanese words. I found the following: IJN is pronounced In grown and Tone is pronounced Toenail, so it's Ingrown Tonail. When you are here in Red Lion, and you go on 5, it should be 5 on the Ingrown Toenail.
    :)

20. crzyhawk

Something else that's nice about the Tone as opposed to all the other Japanese cruisers is their bulges. She has gently sloping sides that look like they should be FAR easier to sheet, which is a huge appeal to me.