I'm sure this was already asked

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Powder Monkey, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

[:I]I'm sure this was already asked but I can’t seam to find it so I will ask you all again. What torque is needed to fire the cannons? I don’t think the little servos that came with my radio will cut it but maybe we shall see.
    Thanks again guys

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

What cannons are you using? Big Gun, or Fast Gun? All Fast Gun cannons are fired with a MAV-2 or MAV-3 valve. These valves do not take a whole lot of torque to fire. I've seen them fired by standard-sized servos and micro-sized servos. For example, the HS-311 and HS-81 are both perfectly capable of actuating a MAV-2 or MAV-3. I would advise against using a smaller servo to trigger a MAV valve because the super-micro servos like the HS-55 have thin, weak gears and servo arms that might not be strong enough. They're PROBABLY strong enough, but "probably strong enough" is not much comfort if they fail in the middle of battle.

If you're firing Big Gun cannons, then you don't necessarily have to use MAV valves. You could use an SMAV valve instead, which is a sub-miniature version of the MAV. The SMAV-3 valve takes so little force to activate that even super-micro servos like the HS-55 will have absolutely no problems.

The other option (for both formats) is to activate electric switches to trigger solenoid valves. Again, you can use whatever servo you want with those.

One final option that I have seen for Big Gun (but I wouldn't recommend) is direct actuation. Normally, a Big Gun cannon uses a SMAV or MAV to power an actuator called an MPA-7, which has enough force to open the large cannon valve and fire it. However, with a torque-y enough servo it is possible to use the servo to directly trigger the large cannon valve. This requires a high-torque standard servo, or something more powerful, and if the operating pressure goes up then it may become impossible to fire the cannon. It also applies more wear and tear to the servo.

Anyway, I hope that answers your question.

3. Powder Monkey

Yes it dose thank you. I'm using Fast Gun cannons. do you think this servo would cut it S75
    http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=EFLRS75

oh and I have a DX6 [^]

4. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

The one you listed has
    "17.2 oz/in (1.17 kg/cm) of torque @ 4.8V"
    The HS-81 (micro) and the standard size Futaba (I think the 3003) have about 40 oz of torgue. Use one of those.

5. Powder Monkey

[:I]what will work with my spektrum

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

You should be able to plug just about any servo into your spektrum receiver. Futaba brand servos have a little plastic piece that you may need to trim off, but after that they're just like any other servo.

I would highly recommend that you go with a cheap, standard-size servo like the HS-311 or F-3003 unless there is a really strong overriding reason to go with something smaller.

7. Powder Monkey

Well I have had reports from other captains of the Baltimore Class that this is a close ship with only 12 lb to play with so I'm just projecting my self [;)]

8. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

YOu should have more then 12 pounds. A Baltimore is closer to 14 off the top of my head.

9. Powder Monkey

your right I do .828[:D]

Baltimore (14) Class: 3 Units: 3.5 Speed: 24

Length OA = As Built 674 Model 56.17
    Beam = As Built 70 Model 5.83
    Std Disp = As Built 14000 Model
    Full Disp. = As Built 17100 Model 12.828

Armor: 6.0 # of Guns: 9 Gun Dia: 8.0 Const: 1943-45

http://www.ircwcc.org/sln/United_States.htm

10. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

As a rule of thumb for fast gun combat, 1,000 tons is approximately 1 pound. The rule from the IRCWCC CBS (http://www.ircwcc.org/Rules/part2.htm) states:

17. Maximum ship weight shall not exceed the heavy model weight (as listed in the Ship List) plus 10%.

12.828 X 1.10 = 14.11 [;)]

11. Powder Monkey

okaay so I'm a dumb rookie I do have 14.11 [:I] but im still close as of right now with out my radio junk so do you think Stall Torque (6.0V): 18.05 oz-in. (1.3kg.cm) will work a MAV2 MAV3