Imperator Pavel

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Bob Pottle, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Every once in a while I recheck ship construction rules and recently discovered that the IRCWCC allows pre-dreadnoughts to have a side mounted cannon. Got me thinking about the Imperator Pavel and Lord Nelson Class pre-dreadnought classes I'd considered building years ago. They are similar in size and displacement and should turn reasonably well, being 37"-38" long and over 6 1/2" wide.
    Of the two the Imperator Pavel has better turret placements with the two main turrets being much closer to bow and stern than those in the Lord Nelson. The LN's aft turret is so far forward it would be hard to get stern gun shots much below horizontal. In contrast I think the IP's stern gun barrel could reach the stern and have a more effective down-angle.
    Would anyone be interested in an Imperator Pavel hull? I could put it on my hull plug building list with the Java and Frobisher class cruisers.

2. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I'd be interested Bob.

3. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Would be a good addition to the very few PDN hulls on the market. Not to mention something different! :)

4. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I think I'll build it. I have a copy of the lines with more than 24 cross-sections of the hull. There's a very shallow lip all the way along the hull from bow to stern, which will qualify for a stringer about halfway between the main deck and the waterline.