In need of a dockyard...

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by Jumper, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Jumper

Jumper New Member

I've got two almost plugs that need some sanding and sealing before waxing up (Fletcher class destroyer and Graf Spee) and a partial plug that needs some more ribs cut out and sheeting (Tirpitz) in front of me right now. Let me just say, the Tirpitz is huge and the Fletcher plug looks miniscule - like a gnat, a humble gnat at that sitting next to both the Graf Spee and Tirpitz plugs.

The only reason the Tirpitz plug is on hold is that I've run out of room...it won't fit in here. I may have to rent one of those storage units that is big enough to hold it.

Pictures as soon as I get my camera back from my buddy that borrowed it.

2. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Steve,

I'd love to see pics! Hope you get your camera back soon... ;-)

Are you planning on making your Tirpitz break into two halves for storage and travel to/from battles?

Carl

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Yeah man! My Bismarck will be 2 pieces a little over a foot long... THis is very cool, as it implies that Biz and Tirp can operate as a squadron someday!

4. Mark

Mark Active Member

your biz is only going to be 2 feet long????? kind-a-stubby don't you think?

5. Tugboat

Lol... oops! posting pre-coffee should be a crime. TWO pieces, each FOUR-FOOT and a little bit long.

6. Mark

Mark Active Member

do you have any pics of her yet? how are you planning on splitting the hull? I thought about doing that with the shinano and musashi but had concerns with hull integrity, so have opted out for a conventional hull.

7. Tugboat

Using the frame numbers from the AotS:Bismarck, I split the hull at frame 10. Unlike most of the frames, the 2 frame 10's that I cut out are single-piece frames (not ribs that are glued to the keelboard) for strength. I'm still deciding on how many bolts to use, but they will likely be good-sized (3/8" or 1/2"). There is also a fair bit of 1/8" aluminum that will be transmitting the binding force from the bolts to the wood. No torque specs yet, but there will be a thin layer of RTV silicon as a gasket between the halves.

8. Mark

Mark Active Member

what do you plan on doing with all the plumbing and electrical systems going for and aft? just thought of something, you know how the water channels run the length of the ship normally, what happens if you take more dammage to the bow or stern and you have pump failure? your ship might resemble a bobber:)

9. Jumper

Jumper New Member

I've thought a lot about the two part hull vs. one part and have decided to stay with a one piece hull. I think it would be slick to break it into two parts, but I'm gonna have to keep is simple (I can't think when it gets complicated [:D]).

This however presents a problem. Watching these things grow in my meager RV - if I finish the Tirpitz in there, it will never leave - I won't be able to get it out the door. The Graf Spee barely goes out the door. The destroyer is the perfect RV size boat.

I've also decided I'm going to have to abandon the idea of a plug/mold for the Tirpitz...it's just too damn big. [B)]

10. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

hey tug, you could always make the bulkhead out of carbon or aluminum with a proper O-ring groove to seal it....

11. Tugboat

Heh. The plan allows for water passage fore and aft. When I say 'one-piece frame', I mean D-shaped, open in the middle, as we are required to have no compartmentation. Electrical fittings are Anderson Powerpole, although there are few large wires to run. The radio system is isolated from the main power, and the main power will be grounded to the lake via metal rods thru the hull. Really long signal wires (rudder, stern turrets) will get heavy shielding to remove some interference from the equation.

If I did her in one piece, I'd have to take up a lot of room in the shop. Still, it'd look cool as heck hanging in the rafters, though.

12. Jumper

Jumper New Member

I'm going to buy a boat trailer to haul mine on...hehehe

Can you imagine the looks as you go through town? Especially if you have the turrents trained to either side. Pull up beside granny and see what she says. [:0]

13. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

I am glad I don't have these problems with my little boats. Another advantage to the Predreads and Torpedobootes!

;)