Introducing

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jadefalcon, Jun 2, 2008.

1. jadefalcon

jadefalcon New Member

Hello, my name is Rob and I found the website through some research on my projects.

I am 19 years old and I am currently a student at the Pennsylvania State University and I am majoring in mechanical-electrical engineering. I just completed my first year at Penn State and I found it a rather large challenge- but I met the challenge and I plan on working harder next year.

I am a model builder and I have been building on and off since 2003, but really kicked off again around 2005, 2007 then this year. I love building warships and I have had a fascination with them for a couple of years now. Last year I went and purchased a Yamato kit. My roommate, an electrical engineer is into HO scale trains. When I talked to him and said something like "boy I wish I could drive this thing around" he told me "why not?" and it started from there. I built the model, and together we worked on the ship's RC conversion. Both us us were new to doing it, so the conversion was a learning process.

I am still into RC'ing my 1/350 subjects, and I always admired videos over the internet with scratchbuilt ships pulverizing the crap out of each other. While I am not financually ready for such a venture, I enjoy reading articles and reading exactly how RC naval combat works. if I were to build a combat vessel, I would probably build a Limberg DD-445 Blue Devil destroyer. I built one as my first ship model, and I would say that this is a nice ship to convert into a combat ship.

I enjoy learning in my field as a hobby- engineering is practically my life and I love every second of it. I love hands on and although I can design, I don't want to be behind a cubicle 6 days a week. I also enjoy japanese animation and video games when I have the time. Most of my free time is spent model building, watching tv, playing games or researching. It's a relaxed life right now- but things can get stressful around exam time, whether a test, final or otherwise.

I am taking Calculus I (differential calculus) as a summer course and really it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Next year I am getting into welding, dynamics (moving objects) and more solidworks, among other things.

I am currently out of work this summer and I am depressed about it- I have literally tried asking 9 local businesses regarding employment and I have been turned down. These are "summer" jobs. The US job market is at the worst it has ever been since World War II. So I bide my time until semester 3 by keeping myself busy this summer. My hobbies keep me out of trouble!

2. klibben

klibben Member

Welcome aboard!

Where do you live? I know alot of Pennsylvanians come to Ohio to battle, and at least once a year we hold a battle up in Erie (although I don't think we will this year).

3. jadefalcon

jadefalcon New Member

Hey klibben!

I live in the Allentown, PA area. It would be a heck of a drive but I could potentially make it to some Erie/Ohio events- if there are any groups in the Philadelphia area that would be even better.

-Rob

4. klibben

klibben Member

There may be, I just know of a few PA people that come to Ohio to battle... check the club finder and it should let you know of any. LEAG is the contingent around Erie that is also part of BBS.

5. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Rob,
    I battle to the Treaty format in Red Lion, Pa. Just south of Harrisburg.

6. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

hahehehe... allentown. I dated a girl from allentown... She was crazy.

7. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

Welcome aboard. Honestly the price of many 350 scale ships once you have done what you seem to be in the process of doing will run you about the same as one of fast Gun ships. Not ment to criticize you, but just letting you know you could afford to build a ship in the hobby for about the same price.

8. JustinScott

errr. ummm.. I mean, welcome. :)

You'll find a lot of engineering types (mech, ee, sw...) in this hobby. You are in good company.

9. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

[:p] LETS JUST HOPE IT WASN'T HIS MOM OR YOU JUST SCARED OFF ANOTHER ONE [;)]

10. JustinScott

HIS MOM!! ????

Just how old do you think I am, MONK?