Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Ironside, May 6, 2010.

1. Ironside

Ironside New Member

Hello, I'm from the Philippines and I woul really like to start this hobby. Problem is, there is no balsa wood here, only marine plywood. I also don't know where to start when building a ship, I was thinking about a destroyer or a cruiser. Could you guys help me out? I hope someone will come to my aid. :)

2. jamesyoung

jamesyoung Member

Your plywood will be good for making the frames, and you'll just need to buy the balsa wood to sheet it with online. I bought my balsa online and had it shipped to me from here: shopmidwestproducts.com/-strse-56/B...Detail.bok but a quick google search will get you the same thing for cheaper.
    I recommend a cruiser, you want something that is large enough that you have enough space to work with, but not so large as to be unwieldy on the water.

3. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Welcome to the hobby, and this site.
    You could opt to purchase a smallish battlecruiser ship-kit from one of the vendors (Strikemodels, or Battler's-Connection), and have everything shipped at one time.
    That way you can get the boat finished in less time, and perhaps get someone else in your area interested.
    Mikey

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

An appropriate beginner ship depends on which format you're building for. Cruisers and small battleships/battlecruisers are good beginner ships for Fast Gun, but if you're doing Big Gun you'll want a nice roomy Treaty battleship.

Have you given any thought to which game you'd like to play? Since you'll be starting your own club, you can choose whether you want to build for one of the major formats (Fast Gun or Big Gun), one of the alternates (battlestations 1:96 scale or Queen's Own 1:72 scale destroyers).

It seems kinda surprising that there is no balsa wood where you live. Do your local hobby shops really not stock balsa wood?

5. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Kumusta Ka Ironside! and Welcome to the hobby.
    I see that you are in Paranaque City. I will be in Cebu in August.
    Do you have an idea of what format you would like to use? Do you have some friends who will join you in this effort?
    What ship you build depends a lot on what format you will use. There are basicly three formats: Treaty, Fast guns and BIG guns. There is also three different scales. 144, 1/72, and I forget what the third one is.
    First off, I would say, find out if there is anyone close to you who is or wants to build a ship.
    Take care.
    Tom

6. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Welcome aboard! All of the answers you got here are correct, first you must pick what kind of rules you are going to go by, then you can pick a ship.
    Buddy

7. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

The middle one 1/96.

8. Knight4hire

Kumusta Ka Ironside;

Have you checked how much RC gear costs out there?

If the prices are better there than here, I was thinking of picking up several TR's and RX's while I am there.

Tom

9. Knight4hire

PS
    It would be very easy for me to put some Balsa in my next balikbayan box.

Tom