Iowa class battleship Wisky

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by JKN, Feb 15, 2010.

1. JKN

JKN Member

What number of units does an Iowa have in treaty 7 or 6.5?
    How many rounds can it have in the stern and side mount?
    Also could I have 2 or 3 unit stern guns and 2 or 3 unit guns rotating in the b turret?
    And how many pump units max can a ship have?

2. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Interesting question..
    The Iowa class battleships are 7 units ships.
    In treaty, you basically buy your offensive, and defensive units. How you go about it would depend on how you want to set up the cannons
    and pump(s), to best serve your battling style.
    There is no limit to how many pump units one can have in their ship.
    A one-unit battleship pump will pump 1.25 gpm.
    However, one can go with only a half-unit pump if they wish. This would pump 1gpm.
    You can utilize more than one unit towards the pumps if you like. But if you have more than one pump in the ship, or a single pump, that pumps
    more than one unit, then although you will pump more water, you do start to sacrifice .25 gpm for each stage, or pump.
    So if you opt to go with a multi-unit pump, say a single pump in the ship that can pump 2 units, then it will only pump 2 gpm.
    If you opt to go with 2 one unit pumps in the ship, say one in the bow, and one in the stern. Then again, they will only pump 2 gpm total.

For the cannons..
    If one were to utilize a one unit pump in the ship, then they would have 6 units for the cannons.
    One could put two one-unit (50 round) cannons in each turret. If they were to leave the stern turret stationary over the stern, then they could have
    a pair of 50 round cannons in the two bow turrets aimed off each side. But the two bow turrets could rotate to cover both sides, as long as they were never
    both covering the same side at the same time.

If you wanted to go with triple stern guns, then you would have twins in one of the bow turrets, and a single cannon in the other bow turret.

If you utilize a 2-unit pump in the ship, then you could still have triple stern cannons, and a pair of cannons in "B" turret, that could rotate to cover both sides.

Conways lists the Iowa class battleships at 32.5 knots (so 32). Which would mean that she would cover the 100' speed course in 28 seconds. So she would be
    one of the fastest battleships on the water.
    Mikey

3. JKN

JKN Member

Does anyone have blueprints/plans for an Iowa Class Battleship?

4. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

I know that Strike Models does.

5. JKN

JKN Member

Are there any free downloads or print offs?
    The ones at Strike cost $16

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

JKN, if you buy the fiberglass hull from Strike, I believe you get the plans for free. Other than that, you'll have to do a lot of digging online if you really want free plans.

7. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

http://www.ussmissouri.org/discover/the-ship/blueprints

8. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

The ones at Strike are also already printed at 1:144 on a large format printer, saving the hassle of trying to get enlargements.

9. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

And trust me, you will spend that much printing it at a kinko's to size. Unless you happen to have a shop in town that does blueprints cheaper.

10. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

This is true. I spent a ton of money making a copy of my Tone plans. It's just as much money, plus hassle.

11. JKN

JKN Member

So does the blueprints/plans come with the haul when bout from strike or does it come with the full kit, or do I have to get it seperate?

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

My plnas came with my Strikemodels Iowa kit and they are a decent set of plans. No complaint here.

13. wrenow

wrenow RIP

You know, Mikey, that wonderful explanation is, of course, one of the reasons I like the general Big Gun take on rules - in some respects simpler, in others far more complex options. No "units" or the common "unit creep" or politics/negotiations ove the number of units a ship "should" have.
    For those not familiar with the dfference (if there is such a person here), under Big Gun, it generally works like this: Note, WWCC has some variations with the below, but most Big Gun clubs, I believe, are pretty much the same as the NTXBG and BGCWI.
    Armament: Whatever the prototype had over 3" (according to Conways') can be armed if you want to (and can figure out how). Warships and merchants.
    Speed: Speed is 0.1 km/h per original knot listed in Conways', but with a minimum allowable. See chart for comparison ntxbg.org/documents/NTXBG_Technical_Appendix.pdf
    Pumping: Pumping capacity is based on tonnage as listed in Conways' (how you get to your capacity - one pump, multiple pumps, staged pum[ps, etc. is up to you). The pumping capacity is in the same Technical Appendix, as is the armor thickness, armament caibers, etc.
    Basically look up the ship in the book, and pretty much all the options you can imagine for it are fair game.
    A fully armed Yam? Go for it if you wish (no-one does).
    Arm only the secondaries on your Bis? Fine (haven't see that one either, though I have considered it and am working on an appropriate gun design).
    A PE with only torps? Would be very simple to battle, and I might actually do that someday.