Iron Duke BB Or Utah BB

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Buddy, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

I have a newbie interested in our great sport. He doesnt like the looks of any of the cruisers I have shown or talked to him about. He is very interested in small battleships, likes the idea of side mounts. So I have shown him many plans and he likes the looks of the USS Utah after she was bulged, class 4 , 4 units and 28 sec speed. I am going to show him plans I have for the Iron Duke which I beleive would be a better ship class 5 ,5 units,26 sec speed, with twin rudders.So my question is what do you guys think of these ships for a new person?
    Buddy

2. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

The better ship, in my opinion, is the ID, it has turning, speed, and wieght on the Utah, however, i also think that the Utah looks way, way, way better.

3. BoomerBoy17

The better ship, in my opinion, is the ID, it has turning, speed, and wieght on the Utah, however, i also think that the Utah looks way, way, way better.

4. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

New BC ID is just about ready.

Well I talked to Rick today at BC, and the first Iron Duke hull was layed up Tuesday, and if that went well he was expecting them to do the second one today. Don C, and myself have hulls 1 and 2.

I made the plug based on the 1914 version, with the armour shielded casemates. In 1915 they removed the extra armour plating, because they were breaking off in high seas.

Just to let you know if he was interested in a fiberglass hull.

5. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Both have their advantages and drawbacks. Utah is shorter and simpler to maintain with less units to deal with. Utah has a pretty interesting weapons layout. Those bulges would be a *&^#! to sheet.

ID has twin rudders, more speed and an extra unit. Sheeting would be far easier, but it's got more target area so you will take more damage. 5 turrets, but "Q" turret probably isn't terribly useful.

All things being equal, I'd say ID is probably the best boat he could build as an Allied rookie, unless he started looking at an Indefatigable class BC.

6. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

Since a Utah would have to be built entirely from scratch but BC sells the Iron Duke, the answer seems pretty obvious.

7. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Not really, just cause BC sells an Iron Duke doesn't mean you cant scratch build it.
    I have two VDT's, one is a fiberglass BC hull and the other is a scratch built wooden hull. The wooden hull is much nicer! (and its a better boat overall)
    Utah is probably an easier build and less to maintain.

8. crzyhawk

"Since a Utah would have to be built entirely from scratch but BC sells the Iron Duke, the answer seems pretty obvious."

Not true, Ralph Coles makes a beautiful fiberglass bulged Utah hull.

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Personally I like both of those ships. BC has done a nice job on the Iron Duke. Ralph's Utah looks also amazing. Hmm maybe I may switch to Allie? just kidding but I do like them both.

10. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I think I prefer the Iron Duke to the Utah hull

11. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Well we laid out the ribs ,keel, and subdeck for the Utah, have some of the ribs cut out will have more soon! Cut out a Omaha cruiser and glued it together this weekend! Both Oregon City class cruisers are ready to fiberglass, soon as it warms up above 60 degrees! I started working on an Idaho class BB, I like the armor bulge just above the water line for almost 3/4 of the length of the ship!
    Buddy

12. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

crzyhawk, what would you recomend for the weapons layout on a Utah?

Buddy, if you could share any photos of this Utah build, that would be very helpful. I am also building a Utah, and having pictures of another Utah would be great.
    Garrett

13. BoomerBoy17

there are alot of choices for a Utah, but assuming youre fast gun, id say go with one stern gun off the rear most turret, and two sidemounts, one port one starboard off of both elevated turrets

14. crzyhawk

I don't battle fast gun anymore, so your mileage on the following may vary...

There are two setups I'd look at. The first would be a single stern gun straight off the back in the aft most turret (turret 5). The next gun would be a sidemount in turret 4, angled back as far as I could get it, would probably end up being about 60 degrees from centerline. The final gun would be a sidemount in turret 3 (the super imposed aft mount) angled back about 45 degrees.

The other set up I'd look at is a stern gun in mount 5 angled 15 degrees to starboard. Mount three would have a aft angled 45 degree sidemount. Mount 1 would have a sidemount angled out about 35 degrees and ranged out a little bit.

The gun layout would really depend on how you plan to fight the ship

15. BoomerBoy17

the only reason i suggested against the number four turet is due to the fact the you cant really crank it back all that well, and he should use the number two to protect his bow also.

Also, as long as you follow the rules, you can set it up any way you want, live and learn.

16. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

Okay, thanks for the information. I had wanted her to have a stern gun and 2 sidemounts. I was thinking of have the stern gun in turret 5, a bow sidemount in turret 1, and a stern sidemount, but was unsure whether to have the latter in turret 4 or 3. As to how I would like to fight with her, I would like to use the sidemounts a lot, but have the stern gun ready to defend myselft if I have to run from an enemy.
    Garrett

17. BoomerBoy17

well, seeing as you are a 28 sec ship, you wont be doing much leading, you be chasing alot. And its best to use the number 2 and number 3 turret in my opinion as you can get the best down angles.

18. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

Thanks Boomer, in that case I will have the stern sidemount in turret 3. I had at first planned to have the bow sidemount in turret 2, but when reading a post you made about the gun system for a Andrea Doria, a member of this forum named Bob said that it would be better to have the bow side mount in A turret....so I had changed my mind on the place ment of the gun.
    Garrett

19. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

Also, about the stern gun, I probably shouldn't be deciding my battling style unitl after I've acually paticipated in a battle....which I haven't. You are completly right, since Utah is slow I won't be able to escape from anything.

20. BoomerBoy17

Dont take what i say as the only way to do things. With 10 guns and only 3 bb guns, you have many, many choices. And the reason Bob said that is due to the odd circumstances of the AD, having a dual turret superimposing a triple turret. I would still advise a bow sidemount in B.
    Your Utah should do fine with a stern gun, it will protect your rear from hungry, fast BBs. Best of luck.