Italian Trento Class Cruiser

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by GeekSpeed, Apr 3, 2011.

1. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

Hi all. Has anyone seen any plans for the Italian Trento class heavy cruisers? I have been looking but am not able to find any. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Try George Goff.
    Search for the plansmaster.
    Strikemodels may also have them.
    Mikey

3. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

The closest we (Strike Models) have is the Bolzano. According to Wikipedia (for how much that's worth), "Bolzano was built a year later than the other two, with enough differences that she is sometimes considered a separate class." The plans we have state that the Trento is a "near sister".

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Let me check the paper archives; I've been stacking them to take to get digitized for archival and I'm pretty sure there's a Trento in the stack.

5. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

Thanks for the quick responses!

I checked Taubman and George, and they do not have the Trento.

Keri, I have seen that mentioned before as well. I looked into it, but it appears to me that the Trentos have a different hull shape than the Bolzano and the super structure looks totally different. In fact, I would say the Trentos look more like the Zara class. I actually am going to buy a different set of plans from you for my second project. :)

Tug, if you could track those down, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks!

6. Tugboat

I know for a fact that I have Zara plans. I'm going to try to sneak out to the shop tonite, got some toys from Strike to beautify Lutzie before the next battle.
    EDIT:
    AS TURKEYS TROT TO WATER XX TRENTO PLANS CONFIRMED AT REPEAT TRENTO PLANS CONFIRMED AT AXIS SHIPYARD STATESBORO GEORGIA XX THE WORLD WAITS...

7. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

FYI: PDF-A and Uncompressed .TIFF are the archival standards.

8. Tugboat

I will remember that when I drop the pile off to be digitized. I'll likely ask them to use tiff so that I can scale them; I'll have to buy acrobat to convert to pdf but I can live with that. Then I can email my first archival copy to my allied friend J for safe-keeping in the event that anything happens to me. Or for him to build lots of boats after he escapes grad school.

9. Anachronus

Indeed, I was just speaking as an archivist. Tiffs are better for manipulation.

10. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

Cool guys! Please let me know when you get them digitized!

11. Tugboat

Speaking as an amateur in that field, who is digitizing his collection expressly to archive it safely, I appreciated the professional advice :) When I get around to converting the plans to pdf, I expect I'll have many many questions....

12. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

If you import the image (tiff, etc) into OpenOffice Draw (a free vector drawing program), and then adjust the page size, you can easily export to PDF if you so desire.

--Chase

13. Anachronus

Chase is right, standard .pdf's can be created by many programs. PDF-A is the specific archival format as it include not just the images but also metadata about the image.

14. KeriMorgret

Just remember to respect the copyright of the work when distributing copies. And if posting anything, remember to resize before you upload!

15. Anachronus

Copyright does not apply to copies of USN plans as they are public domain. As long as they are copies of plans that were produced by and for Navy use. If, however, Keri drew a set of plans of the Arizona, based on the official plans she would be the right holder for those and distributing them with out her permission is a no no.

16. Tugboat

At this point I think when I die my plans and hard drive will get a viking funeral. I'll get less grief.

17. Anachronus

Really easier all around. Copyright/Fair Use is a pain to wrap your head around.
    Isn't Mrs. Tugboat a lawyer? Perhaps she could explain it. I was just a librarian/archivist. :)

18. KeriMorgret

I didn't mean to come across harshly. I spent time in the education field dealing with copyright and Creative Commons, and now as a business am aware of things from that side as well.

19. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I forgot, profile morskie has plans for the Trento (http://www.profilemorskie.home.pl/WarshipPlansPDF_Ita.htm). I've bought their plans for Surcouf & Kirishima, and they are very good. The best part is they come in PDF which means the shipping and import duties are $0 (*hint* *hint* Keri & Stephen).

--Chase

20. KeriMorgret

Great, more competition! =] Nice to know that it exists and we can send people there for stuff we don't have, or as a place to get things for personal reference.
    edit: Stephen already knows about this site. He points out that the pdfs are such that you can only print them on regular 8.5x11 (or probably A4) paper, and cannot get a set that will print out on large paper. http://www.profilemorskie.home.pl/PDFstepbystep.htm