Kip Installation help needed

Discussion in 'Construction' started by McSpuds, Dec 18, 2011.

1. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I need some captains to post some links or pics of their kip installations. What I am looking for is a better way to install the kips to the hull. I have the wiring ok. I am used to bolting them to the underside of my decks... looking for a different way that is clean and practical.

Thanks fells

2. sms_navy

sms_navy New Member

I made aluminum plates and screwed the Kips to them. The plate extended out in one direction about 1/2" from the Kip and has two more holes there for 6-32 screws. I made a base from 1/8" ply with blind-nuts inserted going up into holes that matched the extra holes in the plate and epoxied this base to the top of the material I used for the water channeling (epoxy covered balsa). The plate is slightly offset from the base to provide clearance for the heads of the screws holding the Kips to the plate.
    I put some photos in the Image Gallery in a folder named "sms-navy" but they aren't the greatest - I didn't take any photos while doing this part of the build. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to link them to this message ;-(
    /Portals/0/Users/sms-navy/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope this helps.
    Tom

3. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    One of the local guys here in NC screws the valves and electronics to pieces of a plastic cutting board and zip ties all the wires and hoses to that to make tidy removable modules for controlling each gun deck. Every time we have a battle he always seems to completely rearrange the guts of his ships in between. I don't have any pictures, though.

Ron Hunt