Lengthy Deck Making

Discussion in 'Construction' started by absolutek, Oct 30, 2012.

1. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Could anybody suggest the best way to make the deck/subdeck for a ship longer than 48" (the longest length of aircraft ply available to me)? This is for a fibreglass hull which has a main deck over 60" long.
    Thank-you,

2. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

For the subdeck I use the 48" from the stern to the bow. At the bow I dove tail in another piece. Some times this peice of sub deck gets topped with a section on the main deck permanantly glued over it.
    For the main deck I cut that into 3 removable sections, no need for 48" just cut and sand the shorter pieces to fit.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I buy the 60" x 12" x 1/4" nice birch ply from Rockler.com for like $10 and use that for the subdeck, and 1/2 lap that to whatever length remains to be done.

4. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I might order from them and have it delivered to somebody going to a battle in the US that I am going to, so I dont have to pay as much for shipping. Otherwise I need to order a lot of wood to bring the cost per sheet down.

How is the strength of the ply?

5. Tugboat

It's great ply, it's made for woodworkers and we're typically picky about things like voids or repairs in the veneers.

6. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Silly people. Just build shorter ships. Problem solved. :D

7. Tugboat

Ah, but one 5' sheet of 1/4" ply could build a whole Courbet, minus the 1/8" decks :)

8. Anachronus

C'est vrai.

9. Anachronus

Or a longer ship with a good forecastle deck. :)

10. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I use 48" sheets to make my decks. I just section the deck so that nothing is over 48". Almost every boat I've built so far has had three deck segments of nearly equal length.

For example, on my big gun Gascoigne, the first section extends from the bow to about 1/3 of the way back, and includes the cutout for the forward cannon to rotate in. There is a 2" brace there that allows me to end one segment and begin the next, and provide for flip levers to hold the decks down. The second segment extends from that brace to about 2/3's the length of the ship, and is meant to be my easy access to the battery and bottle. There is a 4" brace at that point for mounting switches, float line, and deck hold-downs. The final segment covers from 2/3's all the way aft, and includes a cutout fur the aft turret to rotate in.

11. phill

phill Active Member

I would much rather have multiple deck sections. Ideally the forward and rear decks don't need to be opened during a day. Just the center deck to reload and swap batteries.