Line drawings to wood trick

Discussion in 'Construction' started by radollar2000, Jan 2, 2014.

1. radollar2000

radollar2000 Active Member

I was listening to a woodworking podcast the other day and they talked about a trick to apply line work directly to the wood with out all the mess of using glue and paper. Once you get your drawings all sized correctly, print / photocopy them on a machine that uses toner. Then place the printed / photocopied drawings face down on the wood and iron it.
    I haven't tried it but I intend to very soon. Has anyone else tried this? If so how well did it work?

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

I've done that for making circuit boards back before it was easy to get "professional" quality prototypes made in tiny quantities. I always did it with either photo or glossy paper, never tried it with regular copy paper. It is pretty easy to do onto copper clad, with wood you'd probably want thicker lines since even "smooth" wood isn't as smooth as a sheet of copper clad.

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Glossy paper would work best probably, since it wouldn't bond as well with the toner on the initial printing. Might need to find an older laser printer that is a little less toner efficient than the newer models. Basically you're trying to transfer excess toner from paper to wood, in a similar manner as to how the laser printer bonds the toner to the paper - with high heat. It should work to some degree, I'd try it if I owned an iron..