Looking for a good, non-expensive radio system

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by misguided1, May 7, 2014.

1. misguided1

misguided1 Member

Hey yall, I've been looking at the different radio systems and trying to figure out which ones are good. I found one that I think would work, but I want everyone's opinion on it, as well what they use for their ships. Thanks everone. Here is the radio that I found. http://www.rcplanet.com/Tactic_TTX404_SLT_4_Ch_2_4GHz_Tx_Rx_No_Servos_p/tacj2404.htm

2. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

I started using these and have been pretty happy. More functions than most of us will ever need.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8992__Turnigy_9X_9Ch_Transmitter_w_Module_8ch_Receiver_Mode_2_v2_Firmware_.html

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I second that one as a good tx. However, one recommendation is to build the entire ship, as far as possible, then buy the tx, as the tech changes rapidly.

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I have two of the one Hovey pointed out, and I love them. Easy to put firing buttons on, too!

5. DATDAVFred

DATDAVFred Member

i bought a 9x also from hobby king and i like it a lot. all though i need to play with it more and learn the system. me, a cave man that throw rocks to get food, now i am a cave man that's trying to use a rocket launcher. but the 9x is cool . just takes time and lots of toying with it. also youtube has video's to help get you up to speed.

6. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

I have a 9X. I think it's a great radio for the price. Lots of cool stuff on it that was meant for airplanes but can be used for boats. One of the cool things I like is the timer. You can set that to 5 minutes for when you want to get off the water. All you have to do is pull the switch on the back right-hand corner to turn it on. Model memory is pretty cool too. I can have one radio and run up to eight different models off of the same radio. Just have to get extra receivers if you don't want to be switching them all the time. :)

One thing to watch out for is the switches. They're not too strong. I broke the momentary switch for the timer by just switching it. Luckily, I found a replacement switch that fits perfectly. Just have to solder it on now.

For a cheap radio that will do just about anything you could want for MWC, I would definitely recommend the 9X.

7. DATDAVFred

DATDAVFred Member

well see you just tough me something new , like i said i need to play with my 9x lol no real punt intended

8. Beaver

Yeah, the best way to learn about it is to play with it. When you don't know what something does or what something means, there is probably something on the Internet about it. That's how I learned to get the extra channels working on mine. Another neat thing that I thought could be done is use the dials on the radio to control rotate cannons. I have no idea if it would work, just something that came to mind. :)

So, yeah, the 9X has a lot of potential, just have to figure out how to find it. :)

9. DATDAVFred

DATDAVFred Member

i could be wrong, but i believe they could be used for that effect. you may have to program the servo or controller to the servo on the range of motion of the servo.
    but im sure someone on here will have a better clue. i haven't taken time to look on YouTube yet.

10. Beaver

The radio has endpoint adjustment, so you could set how far it can travel on each side. If you didn't want to turn the knob every time you wanted to rotate your cannon, you could just set it to a switch. Flick the switch and the cannon moves. You could use the endpoint adjustment to set where you want the cannon to be after it has moved.