Looking for Des Moines Class or South Dakota Class Ship

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by coyotemopar, Sep 28, 2012.

1. coyotemopar

coyotemopar Member

I would like to purchase a used DES MOINES or SOUTH DAKOTA class they may be willing to sell?
    I have been interested in doing this for some time and have the plans for the Massachusetts from Swampworks and was planning on taking the winter to slowly build her up. So I am hoping to purchase so I have a chance of working on it to fight this next summer.
    I am a friend of USSNH and he has just purchased a used SMS Von der Tann I think it is time for me to get going!

2. ship crazy

ship crazy Active Member

Doesn't the Newport News fit in the Des Moines Class?

3. coyotemopar

coyotemopar Member

It sure does!

4. coyotemopar

coyotemopar Member

Still looking!

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The Baltimore class doesn't cut it? Why a Des Moines?

6. coyotemopar

coyotemopar Member

Being from Massachusetts I am kind of hooked on making either a U.S.S. Massachusetts or U.S.S. Salem

7. Tugboat

USS Boston was a Baltimore :) I recommend the Balti because it's availalbe as a lasercut kit and it's a quick build. Haven't seen any Des Moines for sale in a while.

8. Tugboat

Or if you want plans to build a SoDak, I think I have some I can email on my hard drive at home.

9. coyotemopar

coyotemopar Member

I may be interested in making a U.S.S. Boston. :D You know where they are available?

10. Tugboat

One Boston was a Baltimore-class heavy cruiser... rcengr makes a great lasercut kit (I have two!) for like $75 or so. I forget the exact amount, but there's a post in this forum where he sells them :)

11. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

http://www.jenkse.us/rcengr/index_files/Page769.htm

12. coyotemopar

coyotemopar Member

Sweet! I did not see contact information or pricing.

13. Tugboat

http://www.jenkse.us/rcengr/index_files/Page896.htm is the Baltimore-specific page. It also has a download link for building instructions for the hull, and also one for the plans to cut out the superstructure pieces. Most useful.

Towards the bottom, just above the pic of the completed ship. $75 plus shipping, and an email link to contact him to order. He takes PayPal. I have one of everything he's made for sale (including 2 in 1/96). You cannot go wrong with his kits :) Trust me, I've built a LOT of wood hulls from scratch, and if you put a price on your own time above $5/hr, you cannot make one cheaper.

The only tools you need for assembling the Baltimore hull are a wood file, a craft knife, and your waterproof glue of choice. A few clamps might be good, I used a mix of small c-clamps and clothespins.

14. coyotemopar

coyotemopar Member

I may have to get it. I am still looking for something complete so I can hopefully get into the fight this season!

15. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I just finished updating the Baltimore kit and I have the first run of kits available. I eliminated the balsa bottom and changed the bottom of the window from a 1/8" ply part to a 1/8 x 1/4 stringer that will be easier to fit. Plus the kit now includes the deck and two catapults. The price remained the same at $75. PM me if you are interested.
    [​IMG]