looking for I-400 hull

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by eragon_saphira_113, Oct 9, 2007.

1. eragon_saphira_113

eragon_saphira_113 New Member

Looking for and I-400 hull.
    If you have one please let me know and show pics.
    I will consider.

2. klibben

klibben Member

one of the canadian guys, bob pottle i think, had a mold for one. I think he still has it, either that or Tuggy has it now?

3. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

You should also consider looking on the Big Gun group on Yahoo! Groups. There is a guy who makes a very nice and sturdy hull. Several have been bought by members of the WWCC, though only one has been completed so far. Sorry to say it is unlikely anyone would be wiling to part with one, though.

4. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Klibben,
    I've never had an I-400 hull mold. I got my hands on one of the OOP Battlers Connection I-400 hulls a few years ago and built a sub that could static dive and resurface using CO2, and fire a custom built light weight cannon on resurfacing. It was unsuccessful in its only combat attempt due to instability, heeling over about 45 degrees in turns and not righting itself.

The model has been converted to a diving convoy ship as sub-tanker (aviation gas) I-402. Just waiting for the unreliable FMA Fury micro-receiver to be repaired again before trials.

I discarded the BC superstructure parts, which were semi-scale, and made more accurate molds for the hangar and conning tower. The new parts turned out nicely but the hangar mold was damaged and hasn't been repaired. There are photos on the old Pitelli hosted NABS website.

I also cut the hull in half along the waterline and deepened it 3/8" to get enough space for the Panasonic 6V 1.6Ah battery. In restrospect it should have been deepened 5/8"-3/4". That would probably have cured the stability problem and allowed use of a standard Futaba receiver.

Bob

5. klibben

klibben Member

oops, sorry for the mixup... i swear somebody out there has one cuz i almost bought a kit. hmmmmmmm....

6. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Do you have any plans for the I-402? I have a friend who has two I-400 hulls that he would like to make into the I-402. He says that on other Japanese submarine transport conversions they removed the hangar. Do you know anything about this?

7. eragon_saphira_113

Gascan,
    Do you have the link for the big gun clubs on yahoo that I could go to?

8. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Is this the one you need?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BigGunsModelWarship/

9. eragon_saphira_113