Low--high? Port--tarboard?

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by pew-pew-pew, Apr 5, 2007.

1. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

three turrets to fire.. what postion is best to aim them? can you eventually just trwist the turrets around?

2. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

oops, its STARBOARD, my bad :)

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

It depends on the ship. Some ships (Class 3 and smaller) can't mount sidemounts. Most South Dakota and North Carolina captains mount triple sterns and one sidemount in each forward turret, one sidemount to port, and one to stbd.

4. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

okay so basicaly just have them facing at a variety of places, ( preferably posrt and starboard )but at what angles to put them at?

5. Tugboat

I prefer my sidemounts aimed downward so the BBs hit the water about 8" to a foot out. It's not really critical to get a specific angle, just get it set and get the guns firing.

6. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

well if you want to change the position of a cannon, is to easy to just twist them are elevate them by hand? also ive noticed that most people have the triple stern cannon facing directly backwards. is it for a reason? or do they do it for the pictures?

7. Tugboat

Facing directly backwards because the guns can't be sidemounts, and anything >15 degrees left or right of centerline counts as a sidemount. One guy does have his sterns moving within that 30 degree cone, but for a first ship I strongly advise you to keep it simple :) All my great screw-ups in this hobby have been from trying to do something fancy before trying it simple.

8. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

so then with such little rotation, is it hard to aim with very little angel on the turret?

9. Tugboat

I dunno, I run my stern guns fixed dead astern. I find it a lot easier in a fast guns battle to keep track of the tactic situation by just aiming the boat, and not fiddling with trying to aim turrets AND boat. Remeber, fast guns speeds are a lot higher than big guns speeds.

10. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

There's a lot to be said for the simplicity of construction and operation of fixed cannons. I operated a Big Gun battleship with a rotating front cannon (triple barrel) and fixed stern cannon (also triple barrel) for a while, and when you attack someone, you point the guns in the general direction of the other ship and then do the precision aiming with your entire ship. I also found that when my ship was more than 30 feet away, it was more accurate to point the entire ship straight away from my opponent and fire the stern cannon than to spray and pray with my rotating front cannon.

Stick with fixed, 'cause rotating cannons are a huge step up in complexity and not a good idea for your first ship. As for angle, I would have the stern cannons directly off the stern, and the forward cannons split one port one starboard. Rotation angle on the forward cannons is entirely up to you, but it's probably a good idea to have them ranged close rather than far, because those are the cannons that can sink another ship and they can't do that if they're set for long range.
    I'm probably not the best person to tell you about Fast Gun cannons because I actually only do Big Gun combat, but I've also seen lots of ships set up like that, and they wouldn't be set up like that if it wasn't an effective layout. If I were to build a Fast Gun battleship, that's how I would have it set up.

11. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

wellso what would u consider close? 8-10 inches?

12. Kotori87

Yeah, that sounds about right. The most important thing is to build something and try it. At some point you have to attend a battle, build a ship, and start trying things.

13. Kotori87

Yeah, that sounds about right. The most important thing is to build something and try it. If it doesn't work, try something else. At some point you have to attend a battle, build a ship, and start experimenting on your own.

14. Tugboat

I'm still confused as to which club's rules you want to build your ship for... Big gun? Fast Gun? Battlestations? If you're talking units, that's fast guns.

15. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

tugboat, im building 1/44 fast gun, but, no. we were talking about where to face the cannons and and what angles to face the towards the water.