LST-542

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Klems, May 22, 2008.

1. Klems

Klems Member

I've decided to finish this project up over the summer so here is what my LST looks like currently.

[​IMG]

I semi-finished the superstructure and decks. I think I'm going to go with magnetic hold downs and add details here and there. I also installed the caprail.

[​IMG]

I've put in an order to Battler's for the rest of the running gear, so I'm just doing what I can until my order gets here.

Steering control is next on the list, then cutting out the windows. I had a question though. My rudders are pretty much at the waterline of the model and are definitely inside of the "60 degree rule" where I need to cut.

[​IMG]

The WWCC makes a provision for this: "If even after applying the 60-degree rule the hull shape and dimensions allow insufficient impenetrable area to securely mount the stuffing tubes, the impenetrable area around the tube exit points may be extended by 1/2 inch above the top edge, but must not exceed 1.5 inches in length"

So does this mean I can draw a 1/2 inch radius around my rudder exit point and cut there?

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Hmmm.... that's a good question. The WWCC's provision for stuffing tubes only mentions stuffing tubes, which are for prop-shafts only. No mention is made for rudder posts, which is the rudder equivalent. Still, it was intended to cover instances where you need to firmly mount something in a penetrable area, so you should be OK doing that. You should also check if the rudders fall into the 2" impenetrable stern area. If they do, then you don't need to worry about the 60-degree rule and such.

3. Klems

Klems Member

Thanks for explaining that to me Kotori. Now that I went back and measued it, I'm pretty sure it falls within 2" if the stern, but its pretty close.

Anyway, I put in the rudder 'block' (its not really a post) yesterday. I'm really happy with how it came out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now onto the rudders themselves. Edit: Finially figured out the RIGHT way to solder brass and it turned out prety good. Should have those rudders done by today.

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Technically speaking, a stuffing tube is any tube that allows a shaft to exit the hull, and prevent water entry into the hull. So rudder tubes, and tubes for bow&stern planes on subs, are all covered, whether the original rule-writer intended to do so, or not.

5. Klems

Klems Member

Finished the rudders yesterday:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know some of you might scream at me first for how small they look and second for my crappy soldering job. On the small side, I can't make 'em bigger because then they smack into the side of the hull. As of now, I get about 30-40 degrees of throw until they hit and that is perfectly fine with me. On the crappy side, at least they are structually sound and smoothed down. As long as they do their job and stay in place, they're fine. I'll paint over them later.

6. Klems

Klems Member

While I'm waiting on my order from BC (should get here on Tuesday) I thought I would go ahead and start cutting out the windows. I'm kinda on a crash build course because there is an all scale warship fun run on the 14th of June that I've been invited to in Huntington Beach. First time I get to show her off!

7. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

were, when & what time in Huntington Beach. um not to far 30 ml. or so

8. Klems

Klems Member

Original Topic: Visit this site

It would be nice to have another 1/144 ship out there [:D]

9. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

will try to make it down with 3 ships

10. Klems

Klems Member

Sounds good Evil Joker!

I got the rest of my parts today from BC and...well I couldn't really stop myself as you'll see.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You'll notice there is quite a gap between the rudder and the tip of the prop, that's beacuse the skeg frame goes in there, so its all measured out. And I made the prop shafts and stuffing tubes myself [:D]. I wouldn't consider myself a full captain...err Midshipman if I didn't make those myself.

11. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

LSTs are such a blast to drive, too! Looking good.

12. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

i got some parts today from BC also hope to see you there with my koing and my sons vdt. lol so can we shot your lst lol.

13. Klems

Klems Member

Thanks Tugboat! I'm having a blast just building the ship. Some people say tht transports are uninteresting, but I love this little ship. Perfect way to get me into the hobby. I can't wait until I start on an armed warship (if you ever get those Alaska hulls done[;)]).

Hey now Joker, we're going to be nice to the transports, lol. I doubt I can get her combat ready by the 14th, but she will definitely be able to cruise around.

Did some more work over the past week focusing on getting her running. She runs beautifully in my bathtub after I fixed some annoying leaks. Good thing I caught them now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ironic too because this baby slid ashore on the beaches of Normany 64 years ago today.

14. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

are you still going Klems

15. Klems

Klems Member

You bet I'm still going. I got her up and running and just finishing up the paintjob on her. She's not combat ready (no pump, no balsa siding, electronics not waterproof, ect..) but she'll be out on the water 'till I run out of batteries. Then I'll probably run over to the store and get some more [:D]

Pictures coming up later on tonight as soon as I fix the paint.

16. Klems

Klems Member

Here are the pictures as promised. Just remember she's NOT combat ready yet. Just done enough to get me out on the water and enjoying the day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm really happy with how I put together the skegs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And one with the happy builder, of course!
    [​IMG]

17. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Really looks nice, hope to see you on the pond someday. Of course since I play Axis I will have to shoot holes into it, lol. [:D]

18. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Klems, any news on the LST? oh, where did u get the fiberglass hull? deck kit? and superstructure? it all looks really good, and any pictures would be nice

19. Klems

Klems Member

Terribly sorry BoomerBoy I wasn't around to get back to you faster, but I was down in Peru on my Navy cruise.

I got pictures from the fun run I went to.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've replaced the motors with bigger ones since then. She runs so much better now.

I got the hull secondhand from a guy in Oklahoma. It was the only one I could find on the internet. Everything else you see was scratch built by me. I used Midwest PVC board in .08" and .2" for the decks, superstructure, caprail, etc.

I'm still deciding on how I want to cut the hull for the frames. And if anyone could point me to a good tutorial on how to sheet and blend in the balsa to the hull that would be most helpful.

20. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

thanks Klems, how was peru? I was sad to hear that, but it looks like i will end up buying a hull from tugboat when he sorts out what ever he has to sort out, and i can contact him. And PVC sheets, i have never heard of that, is it easy to work with?