Mogador class destroyer

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by DeletedUser, Jul 14, 2008.

1. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

guy what do you think on this ship im probably going to get the ship kit but what is your guys opinion, And on the BC website it says destroyers dont come with a regulator(Do they need one)

2. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

All ships with cannons need a regulator. I think Mogador is too small for a beginner to easily build.

3. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Not a good ship for a beginner, you have to build super light!

4. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

As a MOG captain. Here is my two cents.
    As an umarmed ship. she is not bad to build. (Running laps in a BIG gun world)
    Now Arming her is another problem.
    Look at my posts on the topic.
    Everything needs to be small and light.
    I found a motor controller that is the size of a penny. (See my posts on that as well. I list where to purchase it.)
    I had to keep puting in smaller batteries in order for her to be able to displace her weight as I added the CO2 system.
    I am going to change her motors for smaller and lighter ones.
    Everything needs to be mounted on the center line to keep her balanced.
    It has been a real challenge.
    I have not been successful to date but that does not stop me from trying.
    This was my first ship, and I have yet to have it operational!
    I am now working on other boats to gain the experience I need before I go back to working on the MOG.
    I have Tirpitz and the USS Illinois in my sights to complete before I go back to the MOG.

5. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

Don't forget that the Mogador loves to roll severely in a turn, even with the CG kept low and on-center (hence the reason for so many ships of that size range having bilge keels to slow the roll rate).

6. Knight4hire

Will be posting some new photos soon.
    Reduced the size of the motors to one third of what I had started with. Using off the shelf nine volt batteries.
    I think that I can now arm the forward torp tubes and at least one turret. I will still try to arm both of the forward turrets.
    Too much clutter aft to arm the aft turrtes or torp tubes.

7. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

I actually put an air compressor in a Mogador. It was a primary string mine field vessel. The compressor was used for my single torpedo system both sides. It was a defensive weapon to let me fire at something when I got back to port to get another string of mines.

8. Knight4hire

By the way, I have been told to be very careful when putting the ship in reverse.
    Going full steam astern just may pull the ship under!

9. phill

phill Active Member

I have a Mogodor mostly built for IRCWCC rules. She uses a rock-the-boat regulator from Palmer with 16g cartridges and has a single unit cannon in the stern. My current problem is the pump. I have a BC micro pump but the original motor died and I'm hard pressed to find a motor that will replace it. Most are too tall. I am also missing the rx, speed control and batteries. With the correct parts, it shouldn't take more than about an hour to get her on the water.

I have had her on the water without a pump and she seems to be ok stability wise. She is a large destroyer so I fiberglassed the deck to the hull and have a number of smaller hatches further inboard. Should be fun to play run n gun with until the bb's are gone and she can come in.

Any one have ideas on a pump?

10. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Hey Phill,

You might be able to use a speed 400 (380 size) motor for the pump. My Mogador's pump is positioned so that the top of the motor goes through a hole in the deck under the superstructure. The superstructure itself hides the top of the motor.
    I used the same technique on my Lutzow. Still looks good and had no problems with water getting in.

11. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

That is what I am doing with my Graf Spee, the pump is so big, that it is going up through to the aft SS

12. phill

phill Active Member

I had to do that on the HMS Roberts. On the Mogador, I have already used the space under the superstructure and I really want the pump further aft. I've seen some pan shaped motors in use by the electric flight guys that might be doable but I don't know how to hook them to the pump housing. The bes solution would be to figure out what the original motor was for the BC mini pump and find some spares.

13. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Call up, or email Rick, and ask him. Maybe even buy some from him.

14. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Yes Rick has boxes of motors, I'm sure he has spares.

15. Knight4hire

For my MOG. I did cut a hole in the deck so that there would be enough room to fit the pump.
    I recall posting photos of the MOG and where I placed everything, But I did not post any photos of the holes I had cut into the deck to make room for the pump. The stern superstructure does hind the area very well.