Motors, Gears, and Gearboxes

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Cannonman, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

Ok guys,
    I'm looking to get a propulsion system for my Emile Bertin (light cruiser -- built for big gun) build ASAP... Problem is, I really don't know what I want or need.

I really wanted to go with a reduction gear box of some type, and either a pair of 280 or 370 motors. I would like the gear box to have the option of changing the reduction by changing gears. From what I've read, I think I would like to be able to tune the reduction between 2:1 and 3:1 or something similar.

So the problem is that both the 280 and 370 motors have 2MM output shafts, and my prop shafts will be 1/8". Does anyone make a gear box that will work for this?? Looks like the BC box is 1/8" input and output, and it seems like twin 400 or 550 motors is way overkill.

If no one makes a ready made gear box, I could possibly make my own, but where is a good source for gears?? I can find a few here and there, but not too easily for the 2MM shafts, and not in enough variety to get the gear reduction ratio I'm looking for.

2. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

http://www.sdp-si.com

Order their catalogs. It's a set of books that include lots of engineering information. Even if you never buy a thing from them, it's a great reference set. Best part is, they'll send them to you free!

JM

3. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

BC also has that one motor to two shaft gear box, Just another idea to throw out there.

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I used a 280 with 5:1 gear reduction in my small merchant, with a 1.25" prop, 4 blades at 20 degrees pitch. The ship took off like a rocket, easily exceeding 30 knots. Put two of those in your Emile Bertin, with 45 degree props, and you're going to move. Fast. Furthermore, the gearbox has a larger output shaft, that is so close to 1/8" that you can use simple fuel line as your universal joint.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVY65&P=0
    For motors themselves, I would suggest the Graupner 280s. The Electrifly 280s get hot, unless you put a heat sink on.

5. Cannonman

I had considered -- well, almost decided on, the single motor, twin output gear box. However, I really like the idea of having the redundancy of twin motors, in case of one prop jamming, or a motor or coupler failure. At least it would have a better chance of making it back to port. That and the fact that the 550s are kind of big for the small cruiser.

I had looked at the S280 gear boxes. They do offer a few different ratios. I thought that all of the ones they offer were too much reduction -- but it sounds like it may be more feasable than I first thought.

When you use fuel tubing for a coupler, what kind of clamps, if any, are used to hold them in place??

Where is a good place to get the Graupner motors?? I was going to use the Electrifys, since I have to order some stuff from Tower, but since you've mentioned it, I would like too look at the Graupners instead.

6. Cannonman

This is a great site. Lots of cool u joints and stuff.[:D]

7. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I run with dogbones and I machined one set of brass ones with smaller holes when I had smaller motors. I have never used the tube.

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Dogbones AND collars are great. Grauner universals work well too.

9. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

The Graupner website offers good graupner 280s. If I remember correctly, they offer two 280-size motors, one as a spare part, and the other as a standard motor. They only list the statistics for the standard motor, so that's the one I would go with. If you wish to use the electriflys, it's a good idea to also get a heat sink for them. I am using a GWS aluminum heat sink on mine, with one minor modification made necessary by the capacitors pre-soldered on the electifly 280s.

When I use fuel tubing as a coupler, I don't use any sort of clamp. The friction fit is very strong, although it does start to slip shortly before the motor completely stalls out. If I really needed to, I could put a small zip tie on really tight, and trim off the excess, but that hasn't been necessary.