my next ship plans have queston?

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by wfirebaugh, Apr 18, 2014.

1. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

I am given a new meaning to the term paper boat or in this case paper ship. I am planning on using 67lb. cover stock paper soaked with fiberglass resum. the build is the WW II Tanker ship Saugatuck. I was wondering about how about using water as Ballast for 3/4 of the bottom of the ship so I have to add little weight to the ship to get it at the correct ride height while in the water. Are there any rules for water ballast? the boat will take on the ballast when placed in the water by means of a motor/impeller atop of a small hole so it will blow it up in the chamber or at least that was the plan.

2. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Ballast tanks are allowed by some formats, but all that I'm aware of require them to be free flooding. The use of a motor or CO2 to pump water in or out is not allowed because it could be used for an unfair advantage in battle. And you don't really need a pump, they work well with simple vents.
    I've provided some info on a ballast tank that I put together for Battlestations in this thread http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/Forum/...fault.aspx