National Maritime Museum

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by Gardengnome, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

Has anyone ever tried to get copies of plans from the National Maritime Museum. I am sending my second email to them requesting info per their website. The first was from my hotmail account figured I make a new gmail account and see if it was due to spam filters they ignored me. Either that or they didn't like my Irish last name. :pinch:

They seem to be my Obi Wan since I can not seem to find a plan of the HMS Hercules/Colossus anywhere out there now.

2. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

http://www.taubmansonline.com/

They have a set in the 1/144th RC Combat Plans section for HMS Colossus.

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=231663&ck=
    (George 'Plan Master' Goff)

He also has a set for HMS Colossus in 1/144th.

3. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

Well color me stupid. I forgot about George Goff and didn't see them on Taubmans passed up their 1/144th scale. How is George Goff plans I have heard there can be issues with the accuracy of them. Has any one bought the Taubmans 1/144th scale plans?

4. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

There are accuracy problems with just about anyone's plans. Best to get a set from a couple of different vendors, and compare the plans and try to correct what you can.

I had 3 different sets from different sources for the Iron Duke, and none of them were completly the same. But I just made corrections as best as I could, and followed what the real dimensions of the ship were.

5. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I usually go with the plans for the hull dimensions and make the superstructure with a combination of plans and model pictures. They reveal more details.

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Are you looking for Colossus the DN, or Colossus later Arromanches the CV?

7. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

I am looking for HMS Colossus the DN.

8. Tugboat

I don't think that I have it but I'll look when i get home from the in-laws.

I do have the KGV DN class covered, they're 4.5 uints, twin rudder speed 28 i fthat's what you want.

9. RiverRaider

RiverRaider Member

Hello,
    I have bought plans from them in the past. They are some of the best quality that can be acquired. They are not cheap the last full set of Fiji Class cruiser plans I purchased were over $400.00 but worth the money if accurate plans are what you need. National Maritime Museum will give you pricing and quality information about the drawings, you may want to fax or snail mail them about what you are looking for if you are having trouble contacting them with email. There also is a fee for looking for information and you may want to inquire about that cost. They also require you to sign a usage application form for either private or commercial use.
    The contact information I have is a little over a year old for National Maritime Museum which is:
    Graham Thompson
    Curator Historic Photographs & Ship Plans
    National Maritime Museum
    Greenwich, London
    SE10 9NF
    Tel 020 8312 8600 Fax 020 8317 0263
    plansandphotos@nmm.ac.uk

10. Tugboat

wowch!

11. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

RiverRaider,

How much did they charge you per sheet?

Thanks,

Carl

12. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

13. RiverRaider

RiverRaider Member

Hello,
    The cost was about what it is now, none over 20 pounds per sheet (10 feet+) some were 12-14 pounds I don't remember the exact cost each. I bought almost all of what was available for the FIJI and when you add research fees and the plans themselves weighed over 2 pounds without the shipping container the cost added up quickly. And the exchange rate when I purchased was two dollars to a pound and that really added to the cost. I think it is less than $1.50 to a pound now. The quality is first rate and the plans did not have one crease or wrinkle in them. The copy was also very good. I bought them to build to Queens Own 1/72 scale rules and I did not want to have to guess about any of the ships features as the amount of detailed Fiji photos are limited. The NMM only had one picture of the Fiji at the time I ordered the plans. When you contact the museum about a ship they send you a list of what is available and you can pick and choose what you need. Most people would likely need or want just a few sheets to build a ship but I was looking for more details. I have other Fiji plans from different sources, two of them are ok but have differences and one other I used as a target as it was probably a Belfast resized to the length of a Fiji, not redrawn just resized (compressed) length wise! That is why I believe it was money well spent for my application.
    RiverRaider