Need Scharnhorst Plans

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by Droidling, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Droidling

Droidling Member

A decision was made by popular vote I will be building a Scharnhorst Class Battleship. This will be a scratch built wood hull. My next step is to find plans and reference material.

Is there any way that I could get plans in an electronic format? I do a fair amount of 3D modeling so it would be easier for me to start out with step or iges files, but any type of image file is preferable to paper. If I can't get image files where can I beg, barrow or buy a set of detailed paper plans?

Are there any recomended books that might show details of construction?

Thanks

Terry

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The Scharnies were excellent battlecruisers and I'm sure you will enjoy battling one! I have a small copy of the plans from vom Original zum Modell:Scharnhorst, they might be successfully enlarged, certainly good enough for making a hull. I don't have time to scan it in this morning, but maybe someone else already has an electronic copy.

3. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Very cool Terry. Just so you know, BC not only has a fiberglass hull(if u werent aware and wanted one) and has all of the kits you would need to make it. Good luck.

4. Droidling

Droidling Member

This is for WWCC. The club has a definite prejudice toward wooden hulls.

Terry

5. BoomerBoy17

Very cool, well i know you'll do a good job. good luck.

6. Bryan

Bryan Member

Ok so I am curious, why the prejudice towards wooden hulls
    this generally means less room inside for anything and makes
    it harder to make sure all is sealed against water and can lead
    to your pride andjoy rotting away if not discovered in time.

So why do you not like Fiberglass hulls?
    [?]

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Because wooden hulls have SOUL :)

Not as viscerally... for Battlestations, the few fiberglass hulls made in 1/96 cost a LOT more than a wooden one.

8. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Wooden hulls look great even when unfinished. And they do have SOUL. But my little DD's will need to be fibreglass.

9. BoomerBoy17

Some people like 'em, some dont. Whatcha gonna do. Personal preferences exist.

10. Droidling

Droidling Member

I can't say why the rest of the club feels this way. For me there is a lot of enjoyment in the design/building. I also take more pride in things I have built from scratch. I won't know if ships will be the same until I try.

Terry

11. Bryan

Bryan Member

Ok, So fiberglass boats have no Soul....

SMS Hindenburg begs to differ, but hay that just my opinion

[:D]

...........Blooop!

WHAT WAS THAT!........un captain ...look --->

Dam.....C Turret just lost a barrel, ......

I hate when that happens in the deep section of the pond....

12. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

There are several reasons why I like wooden hulls. First, the WWCC has been building ships out of wood for almost 30 years now, and it's sort of a club tradition. We don't mind fiberglass, but we certainly prefer wood. The smell of fresh-cut wood, the look of finely finished wood, the uniqueness of each and every wooden hull.

Second, we're not just keeping alive an ancient art. We're continually advancing it with every ship we make. Every boat-builder looks at his previous boats, studies other peoples' boats, and asks himself "what can I do better this time?" Improvements manifest themselves in damage control, structure, hardware mounts, and even just plain fancy woodwork. Fully one third of technique improvements have nothing to do with performance; they're solely to make the boat more visually stunning. Although I guess you could call that performance-boosting, since it's scientifically proven that a good-looking boat is harder to shoot than an ugly-looking boat.

Third, and most important, it's so much more FUN to build a wooden boat. My first boat was a Scharnhorst that I bought used and then gutted and rebuilt from the ground up. It was fun. Then I bought a partially-built wooden Giussano hull, and completed that. It was fun. Then I gutted and rebuilt a Spahkreuser from the ground up. That one was NOT fun, because the hull had been horribly buggered by previous owners and required a fair bit of repairs before I could even gut it without destroying it. THEN I built several transports, from scratch, starting with nothing but a sheet of plans. THAT was FUN. I don't think I could describe it to people who haven't built a wooden ship from scratch, and those of you who have already know what it's like. Anyway, I have been planning my next build for most of the year, and I should be ready to cut wood this weekend. Don't worry, there will be a build thread.

@droidling, I did have Scharnhorst plans, but they're not in my usual plans library. I know of a few other places to search, however, and a few other people who may have borrowed them. I should know after Saturday what happened to my original set of plans.

13. Droidling

Droidling Member

Kotori87, If you can find them, I'd really appreciate the help.

Terry

14. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I just checked and couldn't find them. It's likely Kotori and I included them with our old Scharnhorst when we sold it to Sparky. I'm sure there are other people in the club who have some plans. Ben received a huge stack from Joe, and probably has a set in there, and Neal might have a set as well. I'll ask.

15. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Hey guys. Did not Sparky at one time have that Scharnhorst up for sale? Terry not that you would want to go that route but sometimes on your first model consider to buy one to have and understand while you build another. Not the gospel just a thought.

16. Bryan

Bryan Member

I have built wooden hulls and I have made fiberglass hulls
    I am of the new school and like the fiberglass, generally
    lighter, more room for equipment, more protected from water
    to begin with, easy to repair. That said, I do appreciate
    the work that goes into a wooden hull, but i do not personally
    enjoy that type of work. I know Fiberglass hulls can last a
    long time and keep working, SMS Hindenburg is over 10 years old
    and still makes me smile, and after re skinning this winter she
    will be as good as new in the spring. Her ribs are all still
    original, and the only thing I ever had to replace was the original
    wooden water-channeling, (Was replaced with plastic) and I know
    she carries a soul in her bilges, she has been under the control
    of many a prospective captain and brought many into the hobby,
    but she is my ship and I still like her, and even as I build others
    I continue to keep her active and running. I gets joy out of making
    a nice shaped plug and then making a mold of that plug, then pulling
    hulls for myself and friends, if I made a nice wooden hull It would
    take far to long to produce more hulls for friends than there is in
    a battle season. Again I do appreciate the work that goes into a
    wooden hull but I have huge fingers and hands so need all the space
    I can get to work inside a hull, and I like the space I have to put
    all the equipment i have in the ships. Again we are (hopefully) not
    arguing over which way is better, just agreeing to disagree on our
    personal preferences.[:D]

17. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

I built a USS Alabama in 1986 out of wood. It is still in exsitence and fighting today. There is also a Bismark and North Carolina from that same period still around but,not fighting.I just did not ever have the heart to cut up a hull in fiberglass. I work with wood better.

18. Droidling

Droidling Member

Actually I want to buy a complete or nearly complete ship to try to get running by Nov. 9 gunnery and maneuvering. Unfortunately the email Neil sent me with the club roster is on my laptop, which is down with a broken hinge until parts come in. I was trying to stay with buying an old WWCC boat since there are variations in the rules between clubs. Plus, I'm not sure I would want to ship something like this cross country. If there are a lot of WWCC member here I guess I should put up a "Looking to buy any Big Gun ship" thread.

If someone has a something for sale please PM me. This is supposed to be a thread for Scharnhorst information. Although it appears that I may have started a wooden vs fiberglass hull holy war. Maybe I'll be a real rebel and build one out of polycarbonate.[;)]

Terry

19. Bryan

Bryan Member

20. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP