New Captain on the Docks!( Hopefully not on rocks)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by silverwing, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silverwing

silverwing Member

You are looking at the newest adition in the RCNC community. I am the proud captian of an SS Moltke. I'll be renovating it every which way, and practicing a lot. You better watch out, and you better cry when I sink you :pGood natured humor of course, I have a few questions. We patch boats with silkspan and aircraft dope correct? Can we use different sized Co2 containers? What is the safest way to store a ship? How can I check to make sure the ship is waterproof? etc. etc., any tips would be appreciated greatly. I am open to questions if you want to know anything.

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Silkspan & Dope to patch - Yes. Though if you are rehabing a ship you should probably just rip the sides off and reskin it when you're done.
    Different sized co2 bottles - Yes, any size you want so long as it meets the safety requirements (burst disk outfitted for nondisposable bascially)
    Safest way to store -> I keep mine on a set of shelves, they sit on some carved styrofoam blocks that are shaped to be a cradle.
    Waterproof or Watertight? Put it in the water / put water on it? Electronics should be skotchkoted or potted in epoxy as needed or enclosed in a watertight box.

Also its SMS for imperial german ships, not SS. Seiner Majestät Schiff.

Post pictures, lots of pictures. Guys here are great for giving suggestions, answering questions, etc based on pictures.

Lastly, welcome to the Captain's Club!

3. NickMyers

Also a Moltke, interesting choice - I'm working on one right now - any reason for the choice?

4. silverwing

silverwing Member

Cheapest one I could get. Real good deal (less than $300 battle ready) and the hull is wide as heck. Looks easy to work in. Seems to me that the only other ships that have a hope of comparing as far as working space would be a Yamamoto(or Yamato.... can't remember).

5. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Where from, new Captain?

6. silverwing

silverwing Member

Me or the boat?
    I'm North of Atlanta in Georgia.
    The boat is from Florida from Ed Wainwright.

7. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

good, you are in a prime area to get help. Contact MWCI group in that Area (Region 3)

8. silverwing

silverwing Member

I have. I'm on their email list =)

9. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

3.5 ounce tank will do ya in SMS Moltke.

10. silverwing

silverwing Member

How much will that cost? would I be able to use a different one? Is there a difference between a pin valce and an on?off valve? Thanks!

11. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Yes, you want the on/off (1/4 turn) valve. You can buy from Battlers Connection.

12. silverwing

silverwing Member

59 bucks.... yikes! Anywhere cheaper?

13. NickMyers

Not sure about the pricing, but you can also buy from StrikeModels. You can also buy your own on/off valve and own bottle and get someone to install it for you. Savings is neglible though.

14. silverwing

silverwing Member

How much are the costs?
    Strike is 45
    Battlers C is 59
    How about buying my own bottle and on/off valve? That sounds quite intriguing.

15. NickMyers

Roughly 20 + 20 + s.h if youre ordering + someone to remove the pin valve and install the on/off valve.
    For example:
    15$ valve
    http://www.ultimatepaintball.com/p-...1030593061
    18$ bottle (4oz)
    http://www.ultimatepaintball.com/p-...-tank.aspx
    + shipping
    After you have someone qualifed/capable install the valve you're pretty close to the Strike price. TBH - I would just buy the bottle from Strike - fussing with changing valves isn't really worth a few dollars extra.
    Is the ship in your possession yet? Did Ed use a 3.5/4oz bottle in it? If the ship is all set up its important to make sure you use a bottle that will fit in the ship - nothing sucks more than realizing you bought a bottle that has no prayer of fitting.

16. silverwing

silverwing Member

Yes it's in my possession. IDK if he used a 3.5oz bottle in it because I haven't gotten an email from him in over a month. Been trying to get in contact with him though. I'm working on physical system, touching up, etc. While Brian Koehler ships me the pump and Ed ships me the Transmitter.

17. NickMyers

Take pictures. Post them here. Take measurements of the space where the bottle belongs - those will tell you what sort of bottle you can fit.

18. silverwing

silverwing Member

IDK where it goes but I'm pretty sure it goes all the way forward on this model. Should the waterproof box I have my radio equipment in be secured to the hull? What should I use to cover it? We used plexiglass in the 60+ MPH racing boat I have... I think it'd suffice.

19. NickMyers

Often the bottle sits in the bow. You can often tell by where the regulator is / how far in the ship the regular can move based on the length of plumbing its attached to. There may or may not be a U-shaped bottle mount (designed to hold the bottle at the neck, keeping it slightly angled up to prevent sucking liquid co2 into your regulator).

Without seeing the box, yes, probably plexi, but you should probably consider upgrading to something like an Otterbox for your WTB at some point. The box doesnt neccesarily need to be secured to the hull, but in general you don't want it to be able to shift very much.

To hammer the point some more - post pictures - we can help with questions a lot better if we can see things.

20. silverwing

silverwing Member

I'll get working on that on Monday if I can remember. As far as I can tell, there isn't a regulator. I'll put pics up of every par of the boat. Found an even cheaper Co2 tank at http://www.amazon.com/3-5oz-Elite-Cylinder-Valve-Empty/dp/B0046VLIBY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1329097919&sr=8-8 So just silicone flooding every entrance to the radio equipment box? When I get the pump in, I'll have a few questions about the wiring. It has two battery connectors to my knowledge. One is a standard JR or Futaba connecter for a duralite or something for RC equipment, the other is a really weird connector I've never seen..... It's kind of like Tamiya with a triangle instead of circle. I assume this is for the pump. The third connector is for the pump, I'm sure of it. where should I mount the pump? I see the outlet, and it's near midship, but the tube goes almost all the way to the bottom of the hull. Anyways, I can probably figure these answers out when I get the pump. I'm a smart kid. =D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.