New Construction/refits

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by glaizilla, Aug 29, 2011.

1. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

Hello all, I am currently working on two new Battlestations projects,
    HMS Ramilies (bulged)
    USS South Carolina
    I am unsure as to post photos,

The Ramilies is a fiberglass hull from Deans marine in the UK. I have completed the subdeck/deck, beginning to work on the drive.
    The South Carolina is being made of wood, I have the hull framed, the deck finished, the superstructure nearly finished, and have beginning to work on its drive as well.
    In my New Jersey I was running a direct drive 970 johnsons, I am going to refit her with two sets of double 550 cans geared to a single output shaft, and use the direct drive from the Jersey to power the Ramilies, the South Carolina is scarcely larger than an Arizona in the smaller scale, so a typical treaty setup is what will be pushing her thought the waters at minimum speed.
    Armaments: I have both ships bow turrets armed, I am debating on manufacturing Arizonas for the stern guns.

I know of a couple frenchies being built/contemplated, Who knows maybe we can do a reenactment of Mer-el-kibir... Strauss/mogador/ it shall not be named.... against the Ramilies..and well......guess I have to build some more Limey's.... ofcoarse the vessel that shall not be named must be sunk before any of the other frenchies are allowed to leave port....for the sake of historical accuracy..lol

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Ze Bretagne shall not be sunk! ;)

3. mike5334

All I can say is that I kinda wish I had all the time you have to work on ships. Heh.

4. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

well as competitive as you are, with all your experiance and know how, I doubt you need half the time I do, I cant do alot of the iternal stuff, so instead of sitting Idle, I build..what i can, how i can, my job enables me alot of freedom with time management

5. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

you cant blame me for trying, i find the best way of fighting your boats are to just stay away from them lol, was great meeting/battling in person, look forward to seeing more of your work in the water, I would be willing to bring my ships south for a battle this fall/winter, in order to get more battlestations battles in this year, I am sure some of the other members of my club would feel the same way. Perhaps if some of the builders further south will have a ship ready, we could plan a venue at a site closer to their homeport.

6. mike5334

We are working on ships. :)

I finished the plan work and made the rib templates for the Bretange this past weekend. Was hoping to start cutting wood, but that old time thing reared its head again. But that is fine ... with the battling season drawing to a close, that will leave plenty of time during the winter building season to finish the Bretange and have it operational by next Spring.

Speaking about finished, the Iowa was very impressive on the water. Wish I could have stayed and watched the battle. Ah well ... there will be other times.

7. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I plan to have the Strasbourg ready for the next battle.
    Beyond that. I have no current plans to build myself another boat anytime soon.
    I feel like my time would be better used in helping others get their projects on the water.
    When I do decide to build myself another boat, it will be something smaller than the Strasbourg,
    I think. Perhaps a light, or heavy cruiser. Maybe even a seaplane tender. The Commandant Teste.
    Mikey

8. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Matt came up for some building today, and we made some progress on his R-class battleship.
    Photos are posted in the photos section.
    Most of the plumbing is in place. The ship is coming along nicely.
    It should be ready for the fall battle in Xenia in October.
    Mikey

9. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Awesome pics! Looks like the build is coming along nicely. Another beautiful BB to add to the armada!

I hope to get started on the VU next week. Been too busy with work and family to get started on her yet, but i have managed to sneak in some time on my treaty Baltimore, so i haven't been totally idle...