New Guy -- Fredericton and Ottawa

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bayruun, Oct 3, 2008.

1. bayruun

bayruun Member

I've been interested in this hobby for years, and I've only recently found a club here in Fredericton. I'm hoping to get an old ship and repair it, and hopefully I'll be around for a game now and then.

2. TheMackster

TheMackster Member

Welcome aboard! I'm just starting up too, over here in Halifax.

Have you decided on a ship yet?

3. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

4. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Welcome, glad to hear you know what you want to do, but also look at other options, like building your own ship

5. Bryan

Bryan Member

SO you travel to Ottawa occasionally,
    so do I? You know they have lots of
    water around Ottawa and supposedly a
    combat club also but i cannot find
    any web site or other web link to them.

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

7. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Hey Bob welcome aboard.

8. Craig

Craig Active Member

Bob! Welcome to the mix....er.... we need more mix... the rum is gone!

9. Bryan

Bryan Member

Not to worry there's always more, look what i have here!!!

Cheers
    [:p]

10. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Bob. If you're looking for a reliable mid-size battle ready ship I'll be selling WWI armoured cruiser HMS Black Prince after this battle season ends (November). It'll be given a post-season refit before sale.

This is a Duke of Edinburgh class warship with 3.0 combat units under IRCWCC rules. The fiberglass hull is one of mine and as usual with my models it has a fiberglass deck with scribed planking and molded recesses for the plexiglass access hatches.

I started building Black Prince around 2001 and installed deck, internal armour, propshafts, motors, rudder, casemate secondary armament, barbettes and turrets. I was also building the slightly larger 3.5 unit Defence Class armoured cruiser (HMS Minotaur) so decided to sell the BP to Rob Helliwell who completed the rest of the internals and did a very nice job on the superstructure.

Both armored cruisers fought as a squadron in several NABS battles but there was a flaw in Black Prince's pump installation that caused it to sink with relatively little damage. Rob quit the hobby a few years ago and I bought the model back this summer, found and fixed the pump problem.

The reason I bought the Black Prince was to provide a spare ship for the new Treaty Combat club's members to use until they built new models or converted theirs from IRCWCC to Treaty specs. By the end of October nearly everyone will have completed their conversions or will have new models ready for the spring, so Black Prince is no longer needed.

The model has been converted to Washington Treaty specs but can be switched back to IRCWCC specs in minutes. Speed is intermediate under IRCWCC rules (26 sec/100'). It has the armament and displacement of a WWII heavy cruiser model, is slightly slower, but being shorter and wider turns much faster.

I have family in Saint John and am up there every 2-3 weeks. If you're interested you can see the model in SJ in late November. My models are known for their quality of construction and reliability.

Bob

11. Bryan

Bryan Member

If he does not want it drop me a line Bob, you can ask Ralph about me
    he knows me, and I an busy out here but i am sure we could also get you
    a buyer over in Ontario as we have quite a few seasoned old salts and a
    bunch of new eager young (to the hobby at least) Captains who would
    love one of your awesome models.

Well Off to make a destroyer and then a Mogami....

Wish me luck!

12. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

OK Bryan,
    There are some photos of the HMS Black Prince on the North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet forum (taken at the Sept. '08 battle). Of the 2 armoured cruisers it's the one listing to port next to the sunk Von der Tann, and has 6 main turrets vs 2 on the Minotaur. Both have detailed fore and main masts with platforms and searchlights but they were removed for combat.

Are you one of the guys who bought some of Ralph's hull molds? I'm selling my molds for Hood, Vanguard, and Furious if anyone in Ontario is interested.

Bob

13. Bryan

Bryan Member

Yes Bob!

I have 3 of Ralphs molds, another member of our group also has 2 of them. We are amatures at the molding aspect but will be making some for new members of our group and later for...(Anyone really) But we want to make sure we do a good job before we make hulls for anyone so it may take us a month or 2 of molding parts till we get some experience and make stuff we are proud enough of to sell. E-mail me with prices for your molds and I will make sure the others have the info and see if we can get some interest. Thanks

14. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Could this be getting off topic? hahaha, just playing guys, its all useful info