New guy from NJ

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by man o war, Dec 23, 2011.

1. man o war

man o war New Member

Hello all. My name is Jim and i live in central NJ. I've always loved history (particularly military history) and recently stumbled upon this hobby. I've got a habit of aquiting expensive hobbies, so i thought it was time to get a new one, lol.
    I have no craftsman skills (aside from shop class adn building models as a kid) but i thought this would be an awesome hobby to get into.
    the nearest group to me looks like it's "fast gun", though i dont know what this means really.
    As far as ships go, i've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Pinz Eugen and the Terpitz.
    If you guys could begin to bestow upon me the basics of what i SHOULD be looking at as opposed ot what i want to look at that would be a great way to get goin on this :)
    Thanks in advance.

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Hey Jim!
    You're right that the majority of the folks around these parts are Fast Gun, I myself am up in Wharton. We have a couple of "local" ponds that other captains own which we have small battles on in upstate NY (about 90 min north of me.) in addition to going to the regionals and NATS and other larger events. This area is generally IRCWCC members but there are a few such as myself that are MWCI and IRCWCC members as the rule sets are similar enough to allow ships to cross over easy. For a first build the general advice to people completely new to this sort of thing is something in class 4 or 5 range. (Possibly a class 3 like the Pinz Eugen but only if the IRCWCC made them faster, which I think they did but im not 100% sure of that.) Right now there aren't many battles going on, winter is typically building season. That said if you were to start a boat now you could be battling it this spring. First thing I would do is pick a side or boat that you want to build (Axis vs Allies). A fiberglass hull from either battlers connection or strike models can be a good starting point but if you have the tools and skills scratching building a hull is allowed too of course. (For a first boat fiberglass is generally faster, easier, and cheaper believe it or not, again depending on what tools you may already have.)

On the Axis side a SKS VDT (Von Der Tonn), Konig, Moltke, or IJN Kongo would all be good starters.

For Allies I'd suggest a Maryland class (or similar), HMS Lion, HMS Iron Duke, HMS Invincible (I-Boat), or USS Arizona.

Pick something you like, it takes a lot of effort to get one of these things built before you can even start playing with it. Find out who all is close to you (not sure exactly where you are or how close we are) but if you can meet you with people to see ships in person that will be a big help for you. Generally you'll find this is a very welcoming community so ask away and we'll answer your questions the best we can.

3. man o war

man o war New Member

I like the axis side personally, however I'd like to actually get my fiance's father involved if I can as he still builds small plastic models...I think this would be a great change of pace now that he's retired.

Where can I learn more about fast gun rule sets and how it has a bearing on the build?

Tools I'll be able to get, don't have many of my own, but by the looks of it a good dremel set would be a place to start?

4. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

man_o_war,
    Hello, I two Have a soft spot for Prinz Eugen!! Welcome to the Hobby!!
    Nikki

5. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Check out the portpolarbear.com web site. Look at the articles page. There are several things to read for new guys and also some interior layouts for different ships. A good place to start.

6. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Welcome to the hobby!
    I'm sure you'll get all the advice and help you'll need to get a ship on the water by spring, there's lots of folk here that will be only too glad to help.
    Can't go past a good dremel kit, plus the usual cordless drill/screwdrivers/ruler/2B pencil....
    Try to keep away from those smelly axis pigboats though, and ignore their propoganda....lol.

7. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Fast Gun Rules are posted here:
    MWCI
    http://www.modelwarshipcombat.com/rules.shtml
    and here
    IRCWCC
    http://www.ircwcc.org/files/Forms/R...nHTML.html

In a VERY general sense, larger boats have more units (cannons). Also the longer a boat is the faster it can go, the shorter boats are slower but tend to turn better. Vast over simplifications but a good way to start thinking about the different boats.
    You're right about the dremel, that is probably one of the single most useful tools to have when starting this hobby. And a good soldering iron.

Chris

8. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Hi Jim and welcome;

A good thing to do before you get started is to visit the groups near you of different rule sets. See first hand which one suits you best. Meet the people. You will be building a close friendship with members of the group. Find out which club has the folks that you get along with the best. These folks will be working very closely with you to teach you the ins and outs of ship building and sailing.