New guy in Chicago

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Lt.Jorge, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Lt.Jorge

Lt.Jorge New Member

Hi All,
    I stumbled on to this hobby recently and am very interested in learning more about it. I have enjoyed RC cars and paintball in the past, and also happen to be a WWII buff, so this seems right up may alley. Anyway, I was wondering if there are any active groups in the Chicago area? Seems like Minnesota might be the closest active group, but that's a 7+ hour drive for me. I'm definitely more interested in the fast gun rules... haven't yet figured out the major differences between MWC and IRCWCC. Any advice on where to start would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Joel

2. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

welcome check here http://www.battlersconnection.com and here http://mwci.org/membership.shtml

3. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Joel
    MWC has a fast-gun group near Lansing MI. which is probably a little closer that Minn. There are a few battles scheduled in the next couple of months, so perhaps you can try to attend one and meet the folks.
    Welcome to the hobby, and the site.
    Mikey

4. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I think there is a battle on August 22 in Lansing.
    It would be listed on the MWC site.
    Mikey

5. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Welcome!
    Though I left the Chicago area six years ago, I still feel that it is home.

Check around, I have chatted with some folks in Northern Illinois who are into the sport!

By the way, I go back to Illinois every now and then. North West burbs area.
    What part of chi town are you in?

6. Windrider0275

Windrider0275 Member

Welcome. Fast Gun is lotsa' fun and once you get to drive some boats at an event...you'll be hooked!

Steve

7. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

There's a chapter of MWC in the Chicago suburbs. Link is below.

MWC Illinois
    I think it's still pretty new and don't know how active the members are yet.

8. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

That web site is for JP. He has battled with the MN guys in the past. I'm one of the MN guys. We are having our regional 8-21, 22 & 23. SHould have over 20 ships on the water. If you have time spot by. We have loaner ships that we hand out to new poeple like yourself.
    There are a few guys in central WI that battle with us.

9. Lt.Jorge

Lt.Jorge New Member

Thanks for all the positive replies. Seems like this is a pretty close, if small, group. I'm on the North side of the city in a condo, which may make building a ship more of a challenge... but I think I can convince the wife to let me use the second bedroom as a work area this winter. The question, of course, is what ship to build, but that's for another thread.

10. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Sounds like you are near to "Great Lakes"
    That is where my office was before Uncle Sam assigned me to that funny five sided building in Virginia.

11. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

I lived in the northwest suburbs until about 9 years ago.