new guy wanna build uss iowa

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dman10, Aug 18, 2011.

1. dman10

dman10 Member

im new here and i have no back ground in rc naval combat but i was thinking about building my own uss iowa any 1 have any plans or something im only 13 so that means a lack in moola

2. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

dman,
    Welcome! First I would like to ask what state you are in? This helps determine who is nearby and what format you might want to participate in. I'm in South Carolina. There are people all over the USA and Canada!

The Iowa is a big ship. Big ships mean big money. If you don't have alot of money I would consider something smaller. That is not to say it isn't possible. It will just take more patience. Plan on needing several hundred for even the cheapest warship. Once we know who is near you they can possibly show you some things in person and answer many questions you might have. I think running an unarmed coonvoy ship is a great way to start in the hobby. I did for months and months before I had a warship.

I have made alot of errors building and errors cause delays and cost money. Listen to experienced people and they can help you minimize the number of mistake you make in your build!

Mike Butts
    MN2 USN

3. dman10

dman10 Member

im in elgin a small town out side austin tx but a i just wanna build a few so me and my freinds can battle and ive got alot of stuff 2 build with and my dad 1 of my dads freinds who can build anything and 2 electricans at my church and 2 big ponds i can play with so im not worroyed about size

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Ahoy dman, welcome aboard! I see from your profile that you are not far from Austin, Texas. That is good, since there are at least two active combat clubs in Texas. Local clubs means local battlers, and local battlers means folks who already have the tools and know-how to build ships, which makes building your first ship much easier. Hopefully some of the Texan battlers will see this thread and say hi, but if not you can check out the Club Finder, to find other battlers near you:
    http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/GettingStarted/Isthereaclubnearme/tabid/61/country/United%20States/region/Texas/Default.aspx

I also agree with Mike that an Iowa class battleship is a very ambitious ship for a rookie. No matter which club you join, the Iowa is a large, complex, and expensive ship to build, and it attracts lots of attention from other ships when you sail it. If you don't have the battling experience to handle the sort of attention that involves hundreds of small steel balls flying at your ship, it may be a very rough start. You may want to ask other local battlers if you can borrow or buy a used ship, and refit it to modern standards. That's actually how most skippers get started in the hobby, by buying used and refitting it.

5. dman10

dman10 Member

how bouta flecher class

6. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

the Fletcher-class destroyer would be less complicated, but making weight would be an issue. Class 3 cruisers are safer bets: easy to make weight, relatively simple construction, and plenty of ship classes to choose from on both sides, axis and allies.

I'm building an Iowa-class battleship for my first ship, and while it's a big, beautiful monster, it is a big monster. Weighs 40-plus pounds, and it's over six feet long. Unless you own or have access to a good-sized van or SUV, or even a good pickup truck, it's not a ship that's easy to carry around. It also requires big batteries, big motors, big air tank, and seven cannons. This all adds up to a price tag of something in the neighborhood of 1500-2000 dollars when you finally get it on the water as a combat-ready ship. If you've got that kind of cash over the next year or so and the patience needed to build and battle-rig an Iowa, that would be awesome. If not... steer for something smaller and easier. Strike Models have some of the finest kits available for a lot of really powerful class 2 through 4 ships that are a lot easier to build and punch just as hard. Battler's Connection is also an excellent resource.

Good luck!

7. dman10

dman10 Member

1 longbed dodge ram
    1 ford ranger
    1 ford windstar van
    and like i said i was just going 2 build a few for me and my freinds and maybe just put pomerful airsoft guns in them

8. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

I've never seen or heard of someone putting airsoft guns into a remote control vehicle, but I'm sure it's been done and can be done again... but I recommend staying away from them and sticking with the BB cannons already being offered, just because the complete gun kits are a lot stronger, and last a long, long time. But, if your goal is just to build a few for you and your friends, destroyers and cruisers are right up your alley. Big battleships take up four times the room that destroyers do, and you can get more ships into one vehicle.

9. dman10

dman10 Member

another q our pond(s) are pretty deep maybe 20 ft deep any recamdations

10. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

two thoughts...
    Air soft is plastic, does not break down, bad for wildlife/enviroment
    20 foot deep pond, very very good (even great) recovery floats and excellent waterproofing,
    very hard to guarantee that, you probably will be loosing boats.

11. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

Unless you can swim down twenty feet to recover sunken ships, don't battle in 20-foot deep ponds. Most MWCI guys I know of make it a point to avoid battling in water over ten feet deep, because recovery can become extremely dangerous. Some guys have SCUBA gear, which solves the problem for deep recoveries. If you can, try to battle in water two to six feet deep.

12. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

One other thing about deep water.
    At a depth over three feet, the pressure starts to push water into places where it can not be removed, like the inside of wires.

13. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Or even through servo wires into an epoxy-potted receiver :( Good thing the replacement wound up being $9.