new question

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by the frog, Mar 27, 2008.

1. the frog

the frog Member

Will this group allow self loading 1/4 ball torps like we do in the mbg.Or are they single shot like out west {boo}

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I think our rules allow you to mount as many torpedoes as the real ship carried. As currently written, torps are 1/4" rods, but your launchers may be multiple-shot. Probably not too easy to make, maybe we can allow 1/4" balls...

3. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Tugboat,

Could we post the latest rules as a sticky topic that's kept at the top of the Battlestations page? That would make it easier for people to find the rules when they come looking...

Thanks,

Carl

4. Mark

Mark Active Member

as for torps, I feel that to keep it simple we should allow both 1/4" rods and a maximum of double shot cannon (the rods would be more for subs to get distance out of the shots)

5. the frog

the frog Member

Tuggy, I hope you will allow 1/4 ball torpedoes,in the mbg we used 3inch 1/4 round turrets as tripple or quad rotary torpedo launchers.We would allow one salvo per side every 30 seconds.This makes torpedoes much more available and easier to mount.Also a smaller fast ship such as a destroyer would not need any primary guns,just torps to go out and have a good run.I know you said earlier the the rules were based on big gun club rules but what big gun club. Who is making the rules now and have you given any more thought to my 33=33 speed proposal

6. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Maybe we should see how the original speed rules works out first in a battle before we try to change it. :)

7. the frog

the frog Member

Good idea, I would like to see the speed chart, not a formula for figuring speed. I am math impaired

8. Tugboat

I'm okay with the idea of using 1/4" balls for torps, as well as the rods. If everyone else is cool with it, I'll reword the torp section of the rules tonite at work and post it for feedback. I'll also post the current version of the rules as a sticky. Good idea, I should have thought of that a while ago.

9. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Here is the link. The speed chart is the last page.

http://www.ntxbg.org/documents/NTXBG_Technical_Appendix.pdf

I am happy to use the 33=33 or this version.

10. the frog

the frog Member

You are a pleasure to do business with,an attitude like yours is hard to find. Mikey and I really need to come down and meet you

11. Anachronus

Sounds good to me.

12. Tugboat

Awww... thanks Frog! You and Mikey definately need to come down! I'm wondering if we can get something together in the Fall in Louisiana (we had talked about that as being central for the southern fellas) as a Battlestations event. That'll give me a goal to work towards, boat-wise. Get the ship built, and get at least the main guns armed.

Given the expressed opinion of those present :) I'll rework that section tonite, so long as no-one is actively dying in spectacular fashion in the unit. Yes, some people die in a non-spectacular fashion, it's something I aspire to :)

13. Anachronus

Indeed. The Monterey will be done (if under armed). The issue is water space.

14. the frog

the frog Member

Mike, I ran a Bearn in big gun.At slow carrier speeds I crabbed 2 feet sidways for every foot foreward. The 1/96 boats are 50% larger meaning 50% more side surface area to push on.I think we need the added power/speed that the 33=33 speeds would give or the carriers would not be usable in any wind.

15. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

True enough the ships are larger and will be effected more by the wind. Yet right now, we don't know for sure because there hasn't been a battle yet and only one or two ships have actually been on the water. I definitely plan on building a 1/96 Bearn someday and would not like it if we do get pushed around badly by a wind. But till someone tries it ... :)

Maybe we can convince Mikey to put the Strassy on the water again to test different speeds? It's pretty big.

16. Sharky

Sharky Member

I really feel 1/4 inch Ball Bearings for Torpedos is a BAD
    Idea in 96th scale if you want it to be a ( Cannon ) based
    game. The problem is some one will do one of the Jap DD that
    is like 40 + knots and has 15 Torpedo Tubes and pull next to your
    ship and BOOM your on the Bottom :eek:)

The reason it worked in Big Gun is you really couldn't arm
    up a DD because of the size and CA's didn't really get that
    many Torpedo Tubes.

Here is the deal for me ( Leave the rules as they are NOW ) lets
    make this a Main Gun ( Cannon ) game !! It's WAY more Fun running