New to all of this...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by b.whiffen, Apr 16, 2007.

1. b.whiffen

b.whiffen New Member

My name is Brian Whiffen, I'm 24 and I'm from Eastern PA. I've recently found out that R/C naval combat actually exists. I come from a robotics and R/C car background and some of this is completely new to me...I've never really worked with balsa wood before so it seems quite foreign. I'm open to any suggestions to starting off with this.

thanks

B.Whiffen

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Welcome! It's easier to work with than chromoly :) Any ideas on what you want to do?

3. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Visit a battle, see the ships, meet people. Where are you in E.PA?

4. b.whiffen

b.whiffen New Member

Kinda want to build a battleship, not really sure tho...

and I live right outside of Allentown

5. Tugboat

There's some MWCI guys around there, and some IRC guys, too... (Those are "fast gun" clubs. I don't know about big gun clubs in that area).

6. JustinScott

I'm updating the PA groups as we speak, I've heard there is a group around Philly... Haven't spoken with them yet.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/philadelphiamodelwarshipcombatgroup/

I think there is a PABG as well, but I'm really still looking... Check the club finder next week I should have more answers by then.

For now, Look at the NY & PA club finder, I think the NYBG isn't too far from Allentown... Maybe a couple hours.

BTW, I had a Girlfriend about our age in Allentown... Where did you go to High School?

7. Tugboat

Not to say anything bad about fellow battlers, but the Yahoo group you linked to is one I'm familiar with. It's a 14yr old and a friend with no ships. Said individual was obnoxious on the MABG forum and had to be taken to task by the admin and myself for being rude and repeatedly doing things like asking "which ship to build" 4 or 5 separate times, and every time blowing off the replies. He told someone he'd buy their ship, then blew that guy off when told it was ready. So, I wouldn't really call it an active battling club. In fact, I'd run as far away as I could and join a club that has: 1)Adults, 2)Ships on the water, & 3)A pond to battle in.

8. JustinScott

Hmmmm... Well maybe they have grown up since then. I will not turn down fellow battlers because of what they have done on other forums. If they become a problem here, they will be dealt with. Still, the point remains... visit a battle before you decide on a group. :)

9. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

There are a few IRCWCC guys in the Philly area as well as a few Washington Treaty guys in the Red Lion area. The first Treaty battle is sceduled for this weekend in Ravenna, OH. We're looking forward to getting Washington Treat Combat officially started.

Mike D

10. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

Hello and Welcome