New!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ozzie, Oct 2, 2007.

1. ozzie

ozzie New Member

Hello! I am new to this hobby, and am currently in a hard spot. Im trying to get a job to afford it, as it's not the cheapest thing in the world. I am 15, so it's been difficult, but I think that I'll pull through. I am going to be looking to get an IOWA class, or possibly a YAMATO class battleship sometime within the next year. Thanks for all of your help guys![:D]

2. ozzie

ozzie New Member

I am going to be attending my first battle with the Port Polar Bear Battle Group on October 14th, 2007: and I can't wait!

3. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

I wouldn’t really recommend a ship that large for a first ship. I would say start with a class 4 or 5 as they tend to be far cheaper to build and far easier. U have to rember a Iowa or yammer hull is gona cost ya 200ish and the gun system is gona be around 500 then here is all the other stuff that can add up to around 1500-2000 buck when its all said and done for the price I could build 2 class 4 or 5’s. Also is the fact is that big ship means big target and harder to use. other than that being said welcom

4. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Welcome! I agree with everything Jason had to say. Something else to remember is while they were monsters for their time, that real-world performance doesn't necessarily transfer to our hobby. An Iowa or Yamato must be extremely well driven to be successful, and even then often times takes more damage then they shell out, and hurt their team a lot.

I wouldn't hesitate to take on an 8 unit Yamato or Iowa with my 4 unit HMS Invincible, and I'd be surprised if I lost many of those encounters.

Mike D

5. rowboat captain

rowboat captain Member

ozzie,
    Welcome, I will hopefully see you up there on he 14th also. I am new to the sport and finding out that its not a cheep sport. I am building a boat from scratch(wood). While a lot of fun to build it is taking alot of time and alot of thinking. i would have to say start small look at fiberglass it will get you on the water faster. there is a ship for sale on the form take a look at it. also talk with bob H. crusiers look like a lot of fun stern gun rule). well the most important thing to remember is which ever way you go you will have fun.

6. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

Welcome. I know how you fell about trying to get money. Im 13 and its kinda hard for me to. A ship that big would not be the best ship to start with somthing smaller would be alot better.

7. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Welcome! Being someone who once ran a yamato, I can say that they are excessively expensive to get going and tend to be a BB magnet (not that one that is set up right will be readily sunk). I remember one battle where my Yamato came back with more than 100 belows... not even close to being in danger...

I would suggest a 4-5 unit battlecruiser/WW1 battleship. The baden/bayern comes to mind along with the Invincibles, Moltke's, and that one itiallian one who's name escapes me.

8. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Italian... Conte di Cavour? Dante Alighieri? Or Austro-hungarian... Viribus Unitis?