Looking For New

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by Brodie robinson, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Brodie robinson

Brodie robinson New Member

I am new and would like a nice cheap ship to start with, I want to know if I want to spend a lot of money on this or not

2. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

The cheapest "rookie" kit over at Strike is like $700. This does not include a radio or other electronics. This will give you some idea what the starting budget for a combat model will be. If you don't have a shop or tools, you'll need to factor those costs also. If your real handy and build from scratch, there could be costs savings but you'll need to factor increased time for model completion. The operating budget of the hobby mainly involves travel and lodgings for events and NAMBA membership ($50 annually for insurance). Shopping for a used boat is a good option but these are typically sold without cannons or drive gear so you'll need to factor that in.

3. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  5. NickMyers

Very much suggest that before you buy anything, you meet up with the nearest group. You will save time, money and frustration.

6. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

At least all the hard work is done. You don't need to cut windows, install subdecks, installing stuffing tubes, and such. Just saying. ;)

7. NickMyers

he has more time than $

8. Beaver

Just for the sake of argument, you're not really going to save much starting from scratch.
    Just look as this tally of prices to get exactly what Irnuke is selling, assuming you build a wooden hull to save money.
    Wood hull - $40.00 (not including tools to build it.)
    Stuffing tubes - $10.00
    Props - $20.00
    Motor esc combo - $35.00
    Gearbox - $20.00
    Rudder servo and gears - $20.00
    4 cannons - $120.00
    = ~$265
    Not a whole lot of savings, and I didn't even factor in tools. Just sayin...:whistling:

9. NickMyers

Are you arguing with me or Steve's suggestion of saving money via scratch? Because I'm simply pointing out that spending 350$ on a partial ship still leaves you 300$ worth of parts short of useful. Better he spend time meeting his local group than money immediately.

10. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Also in many cases.. buying a built ship may mean buying someone else's headaches. I know because I have bought several 'used/built' ships more than once.

11. Beaver

I was replying to your comment about more time than money, which in my mind added the connotation that he should build from scratch. I just wanted to point out that there really isn't saving there. Maybe I misunderstood you.