Newbie from Australia

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by prostrike, Nov 21, 2015.

1. prostrike

prostrike New Member

hi forum,

new to this type of scale war games, played on the big ones, repaired the big ones but can't seem to let old habits go. At least this one I can park on a bench instead of needing a one hundred metre dock.

Will be checking out my local group but like the info I've read so far on here.

Cheers

2. Rayne Single

Rayne Single Admiral (Supporter)

hey pro strike. where abouts are you located? good start is AUSBG i am a member of TONE which is based in armidale NSW. Big gun is the current game style that is used as i believe we are restricted with our laws for fastgun. 1/144 is the scale we work with. i'm sure if you are interested i would be happy to help as will most of the other guys. especially to get you on the water and having some fun.

3. prostrike

prostrike New Member

HaRayne Single.

Maitland, have done most RC things, even built a coffee copter, unmanned version, worked well till the wind was a bit strong and it missed the landing pad by a few metres and reduced its self to a tangled mess.

Cheers for the offer captain.

I'm heading to Tarro, in a couple of weeks to see the Newcastle group battle it out on the pond reserve.

I do not know what rules I need to hold to but will find out soon, little strange we can play with petrol but not air.

Anyway cheers to all.

Pro strike

4. Rayne Single

5. prostrike

prostrike New Member

6. BEAST

BEAST Member

7. Rayne Single

sorry BEAST not that i directly know. i believe there is someone from SA but i will need to suss it out and get back to you.

8. BEAST

BEAST Member

Ok thanks a lot for any help and i sorta knew it was gonna be a long shot anyway ay

And have you been battling alot with the Aussie rules in case i get stuck on certain rules ay? ??

9. Rayne Single

yeah since 2000. my old man was one of the few original members. and between myself and him should have you covered. most of the rules are pretty straight forward and er on the side of common sense. what type of ship are you looking at building?

10. Rayne Single

11. BEAST

BEAST Member

Ah sweet its good to hear that it hasn't died out here ay
    And for my first ship i have found some hull lines for the predread Charlemagne and since i have access to a aluminium fab (wilmax) workshop making cannon parts and such should be no problem (if its allowed? ??) And im also planning on going a wood hull since im not a fan of working with fiberglass ay

And yeah i have sent him a email but ill send another in case it failed or something ay

12. Rayne Single

pre dread and ww1 boats have challenges and might i suggest the building and battling is probably more of an experienced captains choice. there are plenty of nice french hulls available. currently my father has a richelieu and i was running an unarmed dunkirk. also most guns that you can buy are available as triple 1/4" or 7/32 and quads as the same? the only problem with cannons are they have to be approved before use as there are conditions regarding the production of them because they are pressure vessals and could become an explosive device if built incorrectly. one of the guys from armidale makes fibreglass hulls but his website is down at the moment he does it for almost all the guys in the ausbg and some for the us guys. there are also some restrictions on boats like: have to be laid down. so for example the montana class battleship for ww2 us can't be built as it was never laid down. wood hulls are alot of work and i find fibreglass is not only lighter but gives maximum space in the hull for parts.

13. Rayne Single

also the agm is to be held on the long weeekend in january at yass. i wont be ther as i have other commitments but the bloke who makes hulls will be so if you can make a trip and save freight.
    here is his page. http://www.geocities.ws/dreadnoughthulls/ this is michael and he should be able to point you in the right direction.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  14. BEAST

BEAST Member

Yeah 12 hour drive to yass so might be difficult with work and i may reconsider ships. And how much are cannons i did check out a couple sites but i couldnt really see what id be getting and also i was considering running at least one fixed cannon so making the cannon out of brake lines and such so it would have a very high psi rating on all parts ay

And the predread lines are so very pretty so thats whats catching me ay;)

15. Rayne Single

That's alright. I figured so. Cannons can vary some members do make them but you would have to talk directly to them as some are protective of who they sell to mainly because being stuffed around. Problem with alloy is it corrodes like nothing else as you sink with a 12v cd on your system creating nice conditions for electrolysis . Most big gun run all primary barrels with rotation and depression. Unlike fast gun that have tops 4 barrels fixed. The combat usefulness of a press dread doing 25kta and only having 1 barrel will be lamb to the slaughter for my Alaska class battle cruiser doing 33 kts with 3 triple 7/32 rotating guns. If you find something that works that is good. Also if you don't get to a meeting it might be difficult to get help building as there are some challenges. Also wooden hulls swell when sunk and you might get a year out of it tops. That's the difference between fast fun and big gun is you pretty much are guaranteed to sink. I could possibly help you out with arming your ship but I suggest you think of a ship in the meantime that would be easier not only to build but to get on the water and running. Unfortunately some unique boats are a lot more expensive to build and set up than a boring common battleship. For example I am building a user tashkent flotilla leader and it has cost me double what my Alaska was to build. y

16. BEAST

BEAST Member

Russian battleship Imperator Pavel I
    How bout this its alittle bigger about 6.7 kg displacement but still keeps the pre dread lines which i really wanna build ay? ?? And also i really wanna build one in wood so even if it dont work properly ill still be proud that i build a wooden predread plus i have acess to alot of 6mm marine ply and sealers for basicly free ay

17. Rayne Single

I mean if you really want to build pre dred out of wood build what you like. Not sure about marine ply but there are a pile of build threads about making a wooden hull from scratch. Is the Bearn build. If you get stuck with anything I'm happy to help but I don't have any experience in building hulls from wood.

18. BEAST

BEAST Member

Well they make small yachts and parts for bigger ones out of marine ply so shouldn't be to much of a problem. Altho when i comes to cladding with balsa is it stuck ontop of the scale size or are the sides of the ship worked down to suit ay? ??
    And i have been checking out a couple of the wooden boat threads ay:)

19. Rayne Single

Yes as the balsa is only 2.5 mm thick in the case of the Charlemagne. This goes onto the outer of the hull around the impenetrable windows. Check out the aus bg links in the other post to see building hulls as you require certain spacing of windows and ribs.

20. BEAST

BEAST Member

So the balsa wont be a problem putting it over scale ay? ?? And torpedoes under the waterline how are they affected by these rules since i couldn't find anything on it and is it recommended ay? ??