Now boarding one landlubber from WI

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Vandil, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Vandil

Vandil New Member

Hello all,
    I'm just starting to get into the hobby, busy reading tons of info from the lat 10yrs of battling on the net. I've been working with Bob up at Port Polar Bear (MWC) to get my first ships laid down. I couldn't exactly decide on what I wanted to build for my first command, so I decided on building two. I'm attempting to knock a smaller cruiser out quickly so I can get into a few battles yet this summer, and at the same time building a BB (slow and steady)
    The first ship I'm working on is a French La Galissonnière class 2.5 unit light cruiser the Georges Leygues. Built on what is probably the last LG hull Swampworks made. I'm also very slowly working on a BC's Yamato but that is distant second priority and basically mothballed on the dry dock at the moment.
    I've got decent background in scale model building and pneumatics but could really use the help of a twidget. I'm currently busy fuddling my way through the GL's electrical system design.

2. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, it sound like you have a good start and a good mentor!

3. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Sounds GREAT! and welcome!!

4. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you. Good luck with your ships (be careful though, theyre not as easy as they appear at first, unless youre already into rc stuff, then it might be).

5. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

A puny French cruiser next to a ginormous Japanese battle wagon makes for an interesting visual.

6. Vandil

Vandil New Member

The puny frenchy cruiser should fit inside the Yamato hull. Right now it's berthed next to my mustang and katana in the garage. (The Island of Forgetten Toys as my wife calls it)

I'll eventually get back to the bigger ship when I have more experience and a first hand look at how the other Yamato owners have done the step deck, boat bays, and rear sub deck areas. I don't want to start making mistakes on such a huge project right of the start. If I find it's just to much ship for me to handle converting to comabt duty. I'll kitbash it as a custom mixed scale cruiser for Hisstank and ebay it.

7. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Welcome aboard! That makes for a interesting mix light cruiser and ijn bb!
    Buddy

8. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Welcome to the hobby, to this site, and especially to the French navy.
    Mikey

9. phill

phill Active Member

Her sister the Montcalm was my first ship. Build the superstructure light unless you want to contest for the most sinks (unrelated to gunfire)!

10. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Welcome. I was from Wisconsin at one time.

11. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Greetings!

12. Windrider0275

Windrider0275 Member

Welcome to the hobby!

Steve