Ocean liner SS Kronprinzessin Cecilie

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by CaptainCook, Mar 9, 2009.

1. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

Okay Nick, here are the links:
    MaritimeQuest - Kronprinzessin Cecilie / USS/USAT Mount Vernon Page 1
    Kronprinzessin Cecilie
    Mount Vernon (ID 4508)
    SS. KRONPRINZESSIN CECILIE
    Civilian Ships--Kronprinzessin Cecilie (Passenger Liner, 1906)
    For those of you who are curious, Nick may try to CAD model plans for this liner (see our discussion on the "Characteristics of a good convoy ship" thread.). I thought the SS Kronprinzessin Cecilie/USS Mount Vernon would make a good convoy ship for those who like ocean liners but don't want to break their back lifting the ship, or have to spend hours patching.
    Here is her picture:
    [​IMG]

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Looks easier to lift than SS Vaterland/USS Leviathan! Yes, I bought plans for it, and no, I haven't even thought of building her :) I hope you guys do CAD plans!

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Don't suppose you want to share the plans you have? :D

4. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

I would also enjoy seeing the Vaterland plans, Tug.

5. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

This is an attractive ship, Captain Cook. I know I looked at it during my initial convoy ship survey, but it was a bit longer than I wanted. I hope you're able to build up some plans and inspire others to get interested in the WW1-era ocean liners, one of my favorite periods.

6. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

I hope to. I think the fact that she can operate as either Axiz/Allied might attact battlers to build her.

7. NickMyers

Anyone know how many shafts and rudders this thing actually had? I'm guessing one rudder, 2 shafts. Wikipedia says 4 shafts , one of the other links says 2.
    There's also a dimension (length) discrepancy of about 20-30 feet between the pages - which works out to a few inches in scale, and that's a problem.

8. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

She had 2 shafts, one rudder. Wikipedia is unreliable as a source, I have found other articles that were inacurate as well. As the the length, she was between 706 and 707 feet long. If we need more information and pictures, she had a sister ship, the SS Kaiser Wilhelm II, and pictures and information from that ship could be used as well since they were very similiar. If yo look at the SS Kaiser WIlhelm II page on Wikipedia, there is a picture of a model of her which clearly shows only 2 shafts, proving the claim that she had 4 of them wrong.
    Here is a link about the SS Kaiser Wilhelm II. One of the images is a propaganda postcard that shows the ship out of water, which might be useful for making plans, since she is identical to the Cecilie.
    Kaiser Wilhelm II

9. Tugboat

I'd love to share the Vaterland/Leviathan plans, but they were purchased from George Goff and as such I can't scan and publish... I may have some CAD plans of her after I get done playing with Delftship. We shall see. She IS frickin' HUGE.

10. NickMyers

Yeah, Wiki is frequently wrong on dimensions, but those came from somewhere usually. The problem is sorting out the accurate from the innacurate.

http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=kawi2

Provides a great view of the butt end of the KW2
    [​IMG]

11. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

Great find!! That is a very good view of the stern.

12. NickMyers

Just stockpiling some useful shots...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. NickMyers

[​IMG]

Kaiser Wilhelm II on the left, Cecilie to the right of the KW2[​IMG]

14. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

I found that last shot earlier this week and thought it was a great one--four old German liners all tied together 20 years after WWI awaiting their fate. The photo was apparently taken on the Patuxent River in Maryland, which I didn't know had been used as a ship boneyard. I do a lot of work in that area.

If you try building plans for the Cecilie, I hope you'll post tips or lessons learned. I found a similar ship that piqued my interest. The Prinz Eitel Friedrich was a German liner armed with eight 5-inch guns in China and used for commerce raiding in the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans. After running low on supplies, the Friedrich arrived at Newport News, Virginia, and was interned by the US. The ship later became a troopship named USS DeKalb after America entered the war. Post-war, the ship returned to passenger travel as the SS Mount Clay. Pretty interesting history.

15. NickMyers

I'm not entirely sure I'm qualified to write tips, but I'll definately make progress posts including my thoughts and logic behind decisions. I've never reverse engineered something to this degree with such 'real world' shots (no ideals - no exact top down, no perfect profile from any primary orientation) - so this should be an interesting challenge and I'll definately be open to other people's suggestions and criticisms.

16. CaptainCook

CaptainCook Member

Great finds! I see several here that I haven't seen before. The more I see of this ship, the more I like her.
    eljefe, I also like that photogragh. Wouldn't it be great if we could build models of all of them.

17. NickMyers

I'm figuring on planning 3/8inch ribs (max allowable thickness in IRCWCC if I've read the rules correctly?). In 1/144 she is just a little under 59inches long, with the max allotted 2inchs solid in the bow and 1 in the stern, that leaves room for 15 3/8inch ribs (with a single 1/8extra rib if you really want to max it out).

From the available imagery I have concluded that the midsection of her hull occupied by the main superstructure is generally straight at the deck level (that is it doesn't begin to curve inwards for the fore and stern tapers until the main superstructure elements have ended, and any curvature prior to that seems to be neglible). This midsection represents about 63% of the hull's length (about 37 inches). The bow section is approximately 21% of the length (12.5inches), with the forecastle occupying a little over half of that. The aft section of the ship comprises the remaining amount, about 16% (9.3 inches-ish).

This is where it gets into a lot of guessing of data based on limited numbers available and taking measurements against images:
    I've approximated that at midsection there is about as much hull above water as below (so about 30ft above, 30 ft below). We know her beam to be 72ft (6inches at main deck level then), I've approximated a 9deg inward slope from deck to 15feet below waterline based on limited imagery available. The remaining 15feet or so below waterline is where the bilge turns and the hull flattens out. This works out to be an approximate width at the hull-turn of ~60ft. - so about 5 inches.

18. Tugboat

I will take my extra 1/8" rib please :)

Somewhere in the stern area to aid with sheeting and also for tactical reasons.