Okay I need to beat a dead horse again."battery"

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Powder Monkey, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

I need to shave some weight off and there isn’t much left to throw overboard and the pearl is still gaining [:0]

Sooooo. I'm looking at the battery. I settled with a 6 volt 12 amp that weighs 5. Lb

Is the 6 volt 8.5 Ah dropping me down a whopping 1lb going to give me what I need? I plan on only one power plant for everything[?]

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Frank here in Florida runs a 6v, 5a SLA in his Mogami Jap cruiser with no problems, and he is using a high output pump motor I found in the 380 range that uses more current.

Visit this site

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

If you connected a pump to a small wire wheel with a gerbil in it, he's start running to escape as the water level rises in the hull, powering the pump. The higher the water, the faster he'll run. Should save about 3AH. If you were running a SoDak or NC, I'd say get 2 gerbils. If you were running a Yamato, I'd say get a guinea pig :)

Why not use NiMH?

4. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

NiHM is probably the best option for a cruiser, however, if you want SLAs, remember, you are class 3 and can change batteries between sorties. You don't need enough juice to last TWO sorties, you only need enough to last 1. I'd definitely go with the lighter batteries if you are having weight issues.

5. Tugboat

NiMH also has the plus of not getting tired like the gerbils do after 5-10 minutes of flooding. Also respond better after 5 minutes of bottom-time after a sink 80

6. Powder Monkey

Tug here at the powder monkey ship yard we are very near a breakthrough of finding an alloy chain capable of holding a rat on board while the ship is sinking seeing as the rat is much stronger and faster than any gerbil unless on TBH ah I mean vitamin B and easily replaced after an 5 min soak .but until we find that alloy I will need a battery or two besides I hear you are quite fond of your gerbil and more than likely wont part with it [;)]

7. Tugboat

Yeah, it's kept the I-boat afloat quite well :)

8. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I don't use a bilge pump, I use potential new recruits. Give one of 'em a soda straw, and I'll stay float for at least ten minutes. Unfortunately, they get full after a while, and that's why I get sunk :(

On a more serious note, NiMH is probably the best option. I love the 7.2v sub-c packs. They're small and light enough that you can tuck one or two of 'em just about anywhere. I haven't looked into D cells yet, but once I move into a battleship I probably will.

9. EricMA

EricMA Member

Guinea pigs are slow. Get a ferret!!! Much faster.[:D]

10. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

While it may be controversial, if you go with a cat (as long as it's not the variety that loves water), you'll get even more bang for your buck; the cat'll do anything to stay away from the water (and would run a wheel if its well trained), especially if its surrounded with it.

On the other hand, you may need to go to 1/72 scale at that point.

11. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

i have sla 6.v 4.5 ah http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/GC-64/160/6_VOLT_4.5_AH_GEL_CELL_.htmlin my Capitani umstill under 5.0 lb. http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/FileManager/Storage/633446590697870000.png i got that from Renodemona i made it look good tho .lol. it had no guts tho .i have had it on the water for sea triels needs gun still. all good so far

12. Powder Monkey

wookie just make sure your pussy cat don't eat my Rat [:D]

13. Tugboat

Eric, speed isn't everything. Comparing the ferret and the guinea pig is like chainging an F18 to a D-7 bulldozer. Yeah, the F18 is lots faster, but we're in a contest of torque :) The guinea pig has torque. And a ferret will make your ship stink :)

14. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

its 3:30 tug dont you sleep um west cost so its 12;30 and i called in sick. got to work on my ship have a biled on sat.

15. Tugboat

I work the night shift in the ICU, so I don't sleep on certain nights. Good luck on the build session! Make sure you guys take pics.

16. Powder Monkey

Tug maybe he is going for authenticity can you imagine how the bilge smelled in the middle of the pacific in mid summer [;)]