Pictures/drawings relating to battleship Salamis

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by glaizilla, Jun 14, 2012.

1. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

Hello all, I have been contemplating drafting my own set of plans for the Battleship Salamis, before I spend the hours necessitated in drawing up an entire set of plans, does anyone have any images of the incomplete hull either when launched by AG Vulcan, or used by the Germans as a hulk? According to Siegfried and Breyers, it had three shafts and one rudder, and I have found a very rudimentary line drawing. Any guidance would be most appreciated.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Salamis?

3. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

Salamis was being contracted to be built by AG Vulcan in Germany, the armament was built in America, due to the british blokade, after the hull had been launched the 14" cannons were never able to be delivered, the weapons were then sold to Britian to be used in moniters, the Germans never finished the ship, the Greeks refuesed to buy the incomplete, and were succesfully sued by the German firm. The particulers are covered in Seigfried and breyers and Conways, the ship appears to be flush decked, with two small tripods and two funnels. The aspect ration of the hull is comperable to most WWI Battlecruisers, but the speed is substantially less. the armor is on the thin side as well. It was a three shafted, and presumed single rudder Dreadnought around 19,000 tons.

4. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

The only Battleship Salamis that I am aware of is the former USS Mississippi and Idaho battleships that were purchased by Greece and renamed Kilkris and Salamis; both were sold to Greece after World War I, and both were sunk by German air attacks in the early part of World War II.

5. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Kilkis and Lemnos.

6. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

I believe Anachronus is correct, which were the former idaho and mississippi, which were sold, allowing the construction of a third New Mexico class battleship. I have yet to find anyone with a picture of the hull being constructed, or launched, I intend on drawing my own set of plans up, extrapolating features from various German vessels of the time. Interrestingly enough, the hull aspect ratio of length to beam, is rather skinny for a dreadnought. the three shafts is reminiscent of all the early German dreadnoughts, however Siegfried and Breyers states it was a single ruddered ship. Weight wise it would be a class four dreadnought. It is allowable in treaty and as such also allowed in Battlestations. The reason for my interest in this ship, is it is one we have not yet observed on the water, and in Battlestations it is about the size of My Hindenburg, or the Ohio in terms of length x beam x weight.

Anachronus are you the individual whom has built/is building a Bretagne? I beleave the Greeks also ordered a smiler ship Valarious Konstatinous?

7. Anachronus

I have considered a Bretagne but not done any work towards one. I find I like the looks of the Courberts better.

Salamis would be quite legals as there is at least one photo of her floating in the basin at Wilhemshaven the lack of good plans is the killer.

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

And here I thought you didn't like Courbet...

9. Anachronus

She's no Delaware. DN's are low on my list. I have about six ahead of Courbert, then Bretagne.

10. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Salamis was a battlecruiser, not a battleship (which explains the narrow length to beam ratio and crappy armor, but not the crummy speed), an important distinction for Treaty, but probably not for Battlestations. my recommendation would be to write Krupps and see what they have on her. I know people have done that in the past for other german ships and been successful.

11. Anachronus

As there was quite a bit of legal wrangling between Krupps and the Greek government over the ship after WW1 the records may have been dispersed. The plus side to this is there are more places where copies might be so that one firebombing of Hamburg may not have gotten them.
    Keep us posted, I have always been curious about Salamis.